Dangerous Curves Ahead !

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited April 17, 2009 in Landscapes
Well...no sooner did husband find out he got drawn and a few days later he was scouting this area for elk. The stark daylight makes for a bland picture but had to take them for documentary purposes! :D I did not want to be on this road at night any way! Soon though we should go for an over nighter that will allow for some great sunrise/sunset pics. Thoughts always appreciated!

512856080_HeKoE-XL.jpg

512856797_h2RLt-XL.jpg

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Where is this?

The 2nd shot looks a lot like a road E. of Payson that heads down into Hells Gate Wilderness. Then again there are hundreds of roads like this in AZ deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Where is this?

The 2nd shot looks a lot like a road E. of Payson that heads down into Hells Gate Wilderness. Then again there are hundreds of roads like this in AZ deal.gif

Yep, exactly where it is! The land is so diverse with rugged cliffs then as the first pic shows; rolling hills.
    edited April 15, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Yep, exactly where it is! The land is so diverse with rugged cliffs then as the first pic shows; rolling hills.

rolleyes1.gif

I have a pretty good memory of places. deal.gif

Same road-

72303010_GRKPh-M.jpg

Picture sucks but view from the edge
    72303072_P5T7m-M.jpg

from down in the river (again bad picture from a long time ago)
    72302667_nuCcy-L.jpg

This is a very rugged area. I have hiked up the West rim on one trip and gone along the river until I would have needed to swim or have ropes on another. On the 2nd I had to blaze a trail through the brush on the way back as it was getting dark and there was no way I could have made some of the climbs and descents in the dark with my gear.

If you haven't been yet be sure to check out Fossil Springs and Tonto Natural Bridge which are both North of Payson. Tonto Creek just a few miles East of this area has some nice little waterfalls as well.

Aaron Newman

edited April 16, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

I have a pretty good memory of places. deal.gif

Yea, I recognize some of these shots. :D Quite the country to hike! Thanks for the tips. It's been years since I have been to those places... hope to get there with a camera this time.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    cool looking area!!!!!

if you can take an electronic predator call (Johnny Stewart approx $40 from a GanderMtn or Sportmans Warehouse) and let itrip around sunrise....bet you could get some great wildlife....ie bob cat, coyote and birds of prey also........of couse an elk call could call in a world record also:D for the camera................

Good Luck on the Hunt!!!!!!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 16, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    cool looking area!!!!!

if you can take an electronic predator call (Johnny Stewart approx $40 from a GanderMtn or Sportmans Warehouse) and let itrip around sunrise....bet you could get some great wildlife....ie bob cat, coyote and birds of prey also........of couse an elk call could call in a world record also:D for the camera................

Good Luck on the Hunt!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Art, I think he probably has a couple of Johnny Stewarts. It's up to him to bring them in and I'll get the picture. :D That is what he is hoping for too!mwink.gif
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Lots of elk just east of Camp Verde AZ, too. I know: I used to have to wait for a 1200-pounder and his harem to leisurely stroll out of my way when getting on the General Crook Trail (Hwy 260) for my daily commute to Phoenix (and sometimes Tucson).

And don't EVEN try to hurry a bull elk--especially with his harem. All you get is a "Go ahead. Make my day" kind of look!

Oh, once I learned what happens when a Ford Courier pickup truck hits a full-grown elk (wasn't me. No, REALLY!):

Elk had a broken antler and a sore left rear leg.

Ford Courier was totaled (driver survived).

Had that elk died, it would have ended up on the dining tables at the one prison in Winslow (road kill doesn't go to waste in Arizona...where I used to live :cry ).

Steve-o
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    That looks like some awesome country. Your comment about documentary shots and the terrain reminds me of a South Park episode where Ned and Uncle Jimbo go hunting with flamethrowers. a,.. er,... Good luck to your husband. Conventional hunting sounds like fun,... too.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 17, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    Lots of elk just east of Camp Verde AZ, too. I know: I used to have to wait for a 1200-pounder and his harem to leisurely stroll out of my way when getting on the General Crook Trail (Hwy 260) for my daily commute to Phoenix (and sometimes Tucson).

And don't EVEN try to hurry a bull elk--especially with his harem. All you get is a "Go ahead. Make my day" kind of look!

There is indeed a lot of Elk in this area. We usually camp just a few more miles East of this location near Indian Village or along fish creek. It is a scary way to awake when the elk are so close you hear sticks breaking outside your tent. ear.gifeek7.gif

Aaron Newman