Spring Storms in 2009

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi All,

This year I've had a few opportunities to chase the spring storms that occur here in the plains. For me, this means Texas and Oklahoma. Here's a few images/videos from this year so far:

471989186_tbspH-L-2.jpg
Cluster of storms near Wichita Falls, Texas. This storm later went on to create a tornado and destroy the town of Loan Grove, Oklahoma. :cry

<embed src="http://www.langfordphotography.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashVars="s=aT00NzIwMjUwNjYmaz1hdkt2OSZhPTczMzM1ODBfczNxQkcmdT1qYW1lc2wmZT0x" width="640" height="362" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed>
This video shows the same cluster of storms in a sped up time lapse. It's really amazing just how much vertical movement there is in storms like these.

<embed src="http://www.langfordphotography.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashVars="s=aT00NzIwNDQ1Mjkmaz1odmVNaSZhPTczMzM1ODBfczNxQkcmdT1qYW1lc2wmZT0x" width="640" height="362" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed>
This is a video of the storm as it spun away to the north. Such beauty for such destruction.

498351981_mp4Yg-L-1.jpg
Double Rainbow north of El Reno, TX. A strong storm that would later develop several tornadoes can be seen in the distance.

498351530_WzLqS-L-1.jpg
Small but bueatiful LP storms trying to develop west of Oklahoma City, OK.

498352048_uFU36-L-1.jpg
A nice sunset near El Reno, OK.

498351541_Yyqn2-L-1.jpg
We were kind of pinned between storms here, but I was able to grab a few lightning pictures before we needed to move. This was taken West of Oklahoma City, OK.

<embed src="http://www.langfordphotography.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashVars="s=aT01MDM0NjIyMjcmaz1zb0Z1diZhPTc3ODAxNzRfcTh6anYmdT1qYW1lc2wmZT0x" width="640" height="362" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed>
This video shows the lightning left behind after a strong series of thunderstorms went through the Dallas area.

These last few pictures are from a surprise storm that woke me up in the middle of the night. I was able to drive to a local park and get some pictures before the storm dissapated.
511894909_XWRom-L-1.jpg

511896028_kXLoF-L-1.jpg

The rest of the 2009 gallery can be found here:
http://www.langfordphotography.com/Storm%20Chasing/715346

Thanks for looking!

James

Comments

• glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Really like that second to last one.

glenn
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    extraordinary! I really like that last one.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Wow, some impressive cloud formations.
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Dude These are awesome! the last couple dont even look real! Great work definitely worth getting up for.
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Wow
    I love those last two. What a great thing to have to wake up and ruin a good night's sleep for. I've always loved the t-storms we get out here in the Sierras but they aren't anything like you get to experience. Good job on those shots.

I also like the rainbow and windmill shots. Very nice thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Wow wonderful job ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Whew! Love those night shots with lightning in the clouds!

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Thank you all for your comments. Glad you liked them! My favorites are also the last two. :)

James
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Nice series. The shot with the windmill is just awesome!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Outstanding photos!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 16, 2009
    The last two are pretty cool. I mean you've got a fountain with a color complimentary to the lightning strike in the background. How cool is that?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Those are just awesome!
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    There's a storm hammering Midland TX as I write. The previous storm last weekend dropped tennis-ball sized hail, knocking all the sprayed-on insulation off our shop ceiling.

Sure do wish we had a NICE park like you have there!

Steve-o
    edited April 17, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    There's a storm hammering Midland TX as I write. The previous storm last weekend dropped tennis-ball sized hail, knocking all the sprayed-on insulation off our shop ceiling.

Sure do wish we had a NICE park like you have there!

Steve-o

Hi Steve,

Definately looked like you guys got hammered last night. Hope you made it through ok. All of West Tx was under the gun with that craziness last night. Hopefully tonight will be quiet, but who knows.

James
    edited April 17, 2009
    Thanks all for your comments! We have a chance again tonight of storms, so maybe I'll get a few pictures.

James
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    wow, the last 2 are awesome. what hardware/software did you use to make the time lapse?
    edited April 20, 2009
    scottV wrote:
    wow, the last 2 are awesome. what hardware/software did you use to make the time lapse?

Thanks Scott! For my video, I shoot with a Canon HV-20. I use Windows Movie Maker to make to process the video. There is an effect in WMM that allows you to double the playing speed up to 5 times I think. This tends to work pretty well.

Thanks,

James
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    James, nice to see you posting your fantastic storm photos again! I guess it's that time of year again lol3.gif

I love the addition of video to illustrate the thread.
    edited April 22, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    James, nice to see you posting your fantastic storm photos again! I guess it's that time of year again lol3.gif

I love the addition of video to illustrate the thread.

Howdy Schmoo! Yeah, I wish I could be more involved in the forums. :cry Work for me has / continues to be pretty crazy. The rest of my free time is spent with my family. Chasing storms is my one photogenic opportunity at this point. I'm hoping to be able to take a few trips with my family this summer, so hopefully we'll have some pics from them!

James
    edited June 22, 2009
    End of the Season
    Well,

the summer HOT has settled into Texas, and that usually means the end of the storms for a while. :cry However, we had an awesome and very active season this year. Here's a few pics from the last few months:

The FULL 2009 Gallery is here: http://www.langfordphotography.com/Storm%20Chasing/715346

547834318_8yHUD-XL-1.jpg

547834108_Eijnx-L-1.jpg

547834263_8CADH-XL-1.jpg

547694278_ZaMz3-XL-1.jpg

547694209_xQ6f2-XL-1.jpg

547694289_64SiX-XL-1.jpg

561040691_eAo5Q-XL-1.jpg

561040813_VGm4s-XL-1.jpg

561040973_TMseU-XL-1.jpg

561041086_VbUnC-XL-1.jpg

561040871_PLAGR-XL-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

James
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    All I can say is wow. On that last shot, is it possible to shoot an exposure for the building then one for the lightning? You could use layer masks to blend them.

Regardless, this is really amazing stuff to see. Thanks for sharing thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    bowdown.gif James, you really aim to please! These are fantastic and I too am sad that the storms are over. :( I would have thought they stuck around all season since it's hot? Is it just too hot for the right kind of clouds?
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Too cool! Enjoyed every one of them! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited June 23, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    All I can say is wow. On that last shot, is it possible to shoot an exposure for the building then one for the lightning? You could use layer masks to blend them.

Regardless, this is really amazing stuff to see. Thanks for sharing thumb.gif

Thanks! That is a good idea on the last shot. I could probably use the original RAW and tone it down some to kill off the blown out areas.

James
    edited June 23, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    bowdown.gif James, you really aim to please! These are fantastic and I too am sad that the storms are over. :( I would have thought they stuck around all season since it's hot? Is it just too hot for the right kind of clouds?

Thanks Schmoo! :D Around this time of year, the air tends to stabilize in these parts, and that pretty much kills of storms. We really don't even get many clouds when the high pressure ridges set in. :cry That's ok though. I'm headed up to Montana at the end of this week with my family for 10 days, and I hope to get some good shots from there. :)

James
    edited June 23, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Too cool! Enjoyed every one of them! thumb.gifclap.gif

Thanks Mahesh! Have a good day.

James
  • www.paolosmeraldi.comwww.paolosmeraldi.com Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Nice pictures, horrible weather!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    glennp wrote:
    Really like that second to last one.

glenn

+1 bowdown.gif