Camera Carnage - Pics Included

TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited April 15, 2009 in Cameras
Well today I can say that I may have witnessed a miracle...

I had just finished snapping a couple pictures and sat the camera down in what I thought was a safe place while I got my laptop up and running...

My dog grabbed my camera's strap and pulled it off of my bar which is aprox 4 1/2 feet tall, it made an ugly thud as it hit the floor and glass was scattered around my poor Nikki... (Yes, I named my camera)

I immediately expected the worse, I even called my photography mentor in a panic, but by some sort of luck the filter and lens hood had absorbed the brunt of the fall... The camera seems to be working fine, the lens seems to be focusing and working fine, but dang ---- This would make anyone's heart skip a beat!

P1010284.jpg

P1010282.jpg

P1010285.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 15, 2009
    Bad dog, baaaaddd!

:whew

I'm going to keep a better eye on my cat.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    take a picture with that busted filter on..I bet you will be surprised.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    After these pics were taken I went to move the camera and all of the glass came loose... That would've been an interesting experiment though, dang.
  • KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Speaking of being inthe dog house!
    I'm so paranoid after spending all that money on my cam that I HAVE to put it in it's case when I'm not using it. Doesn't matter for how short a time. I'm like that I guess. You're very lucky.
  • AtlPikManAtlPikMan Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    It threads like this that help me keep a CLOSE EYE on my gear. I thank you, Sir.
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Wow. That was a lucky break. Best of luck to you.
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

edited April 15, 2009
    My mentor says that I should use what's left of my good luck and buy a lottery ticket :D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    I would say that the camera landed on the edge of the hood/filter and not straight down on the filter from the looks of the glass shatter lines.....

You are one luck man............bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

I would also bet that if the lens hood had been turned around your filter would have been saved also.....but maybe not the lens hood.....but who really cares the camera is the important part and it works and that is great.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 15, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:

You are one luck man...

I'm a female... lol. But thanks :)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Tdcompton wrote:
    I'm a female... lol. But thanks :)

Oooopsie....sorry about that..................but there is nothing in your siggy or PROFILE that gives me any clue.....headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif:D:D
    Just figured it had top be a guy doing that...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Put the hood on everytime
    I had similar experience before but luckily that I put the hood on everytime. The hood helps a lot on absorbing the shock.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited April 15, 2009
    That hood is now my favorite thing in my gear bag! lol