dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited April 16, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I would appreciate your thoughts on this vs. my current entry

Plump And Juicy After The Rains

513593593_XDkM5-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Would help for you to post your original photo. I personally prefer this one, it's really a gorgeous photo. thumb.gif
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Dan,
    The is a gorgeous shot but I think I would leave the one you have in. I think it has a clearer message. When I look at this image, you've got saturate colors and yet a cactus practically screams parched to me.

Perhaps that dichotomy and that contrast are what you're going for, I personally prefer an image with a more clear cut message.

That's just me though... hope it helps! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Dan,
    The is a gorgeous shot but I think I would leave the one you have in. I think it has a clearer message. When I look at this image, you've got saturate colors and yet a cactus practically screams parched to me.

Perhaps that dichotomy and that contrast are what you're going for, I personally prefer an image with a more clear cut message.

That's just me though... hope it helps! :D

I couldnt say it any better so 15524779-Ti.gif

Tim
  • DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    I like the combination of parched and saturated in this one. I think it works really well. It's definitely the winner of the two for me.
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    To me a cactus says saturated with water - by definition...
    I also like the color contrast and light on this one.

Your entry has beautiful saturated colors, well detached on the black background,
    but I think this one is nicer.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Wow!! Gorgeous light. An absolutely beautiful photograph.

But, it does seem to be thematically at war with itself. Warm glow on the cactus. Bright flowers. Deep blue sky at the bottom.

That said, a really good dual theme photo has won before, so it's your call. Meanwhile, I shall quietly be jealous of this shot. bowdown.gif

Virginia

Email
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Dan, this is so beautiful!
    I think your title makes the dual ideas work very well...definitely my choicethumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Your current entry is technically more saturated in terms of colors, but this image is far more beautiful--I love the light and interplay of colors. The connection to the theme is sufficient for me, but that's not to say that someone else will enter an image with a much stronger connection.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Thank you all so much for your comments. My thought was that after the rains in the sonoran desert, our saguaros become extremely gorged and saturated with water. They actually store it, and you can see how plump they become. Thanks again for your help.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 16, 2009
    I really like the dual theme contrast on this! Superb shot Dan!thumb.gif
    edited April 16, 2009
    New Title?
    ic4u wrote:
    Dan, this is so beautiful!
    I think your title makes the dual ideas work very well...definitely my choicethumb.gif

Thanks Karin. What do think of my new title.
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Dan, I like your photo and probably would not change anything about it. As far as the tilte, I would go with "Plump and Juicy" or "After the Rains" but not both of them together. Just my opinion. Excellent work as usual though.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited April 16, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Dan, I like your photo and probably would not change anything about it. As far as the tilte, I would go with "Plump and Juicy" or "After the Rains" but not both of them together. Just my opinion. Excellent work as usual though.
    — Kevin

Thanks very much Kevin. I value your opinion. thumb.gif

Dan :D
    edited April 16, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    I really like the dual theme contrast on this! Superb shot Dan!thumb.gif

Thanks Joyce, that means a lot.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks Karin. What do think of my new title.
    I'm in agreement with Kevin...one or the other. I still like your 1st title best, and again a very beautiful photo.
    Wish I had something going, anything, but haven't shot anything that I think is worthy yet.
    Weather is looking good tomorrow and Saturday, so maybe I can make something happen!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain