Tokina 19-35mm any good?

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited April 16, 2009 in Cameras
It seems to be a very cheap lens (around $80 on ebay) that recieves some nice reviews because of its stopped down performance.

Can anyone comment on this lens and possibly how it performs on fullframe?
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 16, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    It seems to be a very cheap lens (around $80 on ebay) that recieves some nice reviews because of its stopped down performance.

Can anyone comment on this lens and possibly how it performs on fullframe?

I looked at the lens but, honestly, I just couldn't find that much to like about it. It does work pretty well stopped down but that severely limits usefulness. It is very much like a "kit lens" except that it is better built. Focus is slow and some people have mentioned that focus accuracy is lacking. I would only purchase that lens knowing it is severely limited in application and capability.

The Canon EF 17-40mm, f4L USM is honestly (IMO) the least expensive, but very high quality, zoom lens in that range for a Canon full-frame body.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. The canon is very nice indeed (I tried it once) but I'm shopping on a budget right now. The next glass on my list would be the Sigma 15-30 which is much more popular but also three times as expensive ... if only I had won the lottery :)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston