New baby pics

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited April 17, 2009 in People
First the mother shortly before the birth

513956101_yLcBp-L.jpg

My sister is the first to hold this one as well. She was also the first to hold my first child, this is my second. She was a great help through labour.

513956029_DvjgE-L.jpg

The little guys breathing was a little rough so they gave him some oxygen.

513956398_z8DgW-L.jpg

The oxygen was not quite enough so they put a CPAP on him. Note the two little scratches on his cheek. C-sections are NOT gentle operations and this one had to come out with forceps, whence the two little scars, yes they are scars now.

513955950_qCeQ5-L.jpg

The little guy would not cooperate with the CPAP. So the nurses had to go to some extreme looking measures to keep his mouth closed for the CPAP to work properly.

513955892_AsDH2-XL.jpg

The baby is fine. All in all the birthing was as expected. My wife is a diabetic and we expected some issues with the birth and knew he was headed straight to intensive care from the birthing room.
After X-rays and observation the pediatrician said he likely breathed in a bit of the amniotic fluid and that was all that was bothering him.
He recently had his first ear birthday and is learning to walk. Healthy and fun :)

Also all these photos were done with a Rebel XT and 50mm f/1.4 lens. No flashes and a couple weeks after getting the camera...

Comments

• afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    I'm glad your wife and baby are well....wow, the perspective on the third one is really interesting...the shot is really good.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    I'm glad that baby is fine, poor thing. I really like the 3 and 4.
    Best wishes to all of you!!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Both of my sons pretty much straight into isolettes at birth.

it was pretty nervewracking the first time through, even without the headgear. Second time through I was better prepared. Emotionally and photographically :)

Nurses in the NICU starting identifying me by the camera :)
  • rommeromme Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 17, 2009
    thank god your baby is safe..... i advice you to make a portrait from the portrait artists ... which will be remembered to you...
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    First the mother shortly before the birth

513956101_yLcBp-L.jpg
    Looks like f/1.4 or 2.8. Her nose is in focus, but her teeth and left eye are blurry. A smaller aperture, like f/8, would've been better on this one.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
    edited April 17, 2009
    I was still in the very early phases of learning. Barely had an inkling of the existence of DOF let alone how to control it.

Besides f/8, likely would have been too too slow. That was already ISO400, 1/125 and f/1.4. Remember I was working with a somewhat self imposed no flash rules.

Really should have bumped up the aperture and reduced ISO speeds for in the operating room though. But I did have other things on my mind :)
    edited April 17, 2009
    Romme..

In that last picture most of that stuff on his head is to gently keep his mouth closed. The towel and tensor style bandage around his head are for keeping his mouth closed to the air could be blown into his lungs, not just out of his mouth. So looks worse that it was.
    Also on a plus it was all precautionary.

This little guy as actually released before mommy.