Local Grafitti

nikitynicknikitynick Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited April 18, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Snapped a few shots around some local graffiti spots. Enjoy, let me know what you think :thumb

IMG_8125.jpg

IMG_8183.jpg

IMG_8198.jpg

IMG_8193.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

IMG_8268.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg
IMG_8299.jpg

Comments

• cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    I like these. Lots of great angles and ideas. #2 is really doing it for me, in how the ground works with the art (that's what I think good graffiti is).

Raises an interesting question that I've pondered before:

I have a hard time being artistic in shooting graffiti because any composition I add to the shot usually competes with the composition of the graffiti itself, therefore I generally shoot graffiti as portraiture, especially if the graffiti is detailed, complex or otherwise good.

Lines within the subject and surrounding landscape often compete, so I'm left with shooting the graffiti by itself, or having to consider the composition of the art amongst its surroundings.

Cheers for the post - I'd love to see more.
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    great series of photos...I like #4 and the way it is stepped bck into the photo, nd each step gives you a little vignette so to speak of a larger artwork . thumb.gif
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • nikitynicknikitynick Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    cdub wrote:
    I have a hard time being artistic in shooting graffiti because any composition I add to the shot usually competes with the composition of the graffiti itself, therefore I generally shoot graffiti as portraiture, especially if the graffiti is detailed, complex or otherwise good.

That was absolutely one of the challenges I encountered when shooting. Trying to capture good photographic composition while not compromising the actual art itself was an obstacle. I did my best but have much room to improve. Another large issue was getting the right lighting as, most of these shots are under a bridge, so the balance of light was very off. Dark under the bridge, bright outside, so right on the edge was difficult.

thanks for the kind words, ill post a few more I have, but those first few were my favorites :D