Options

Superwide zooms - any recommendations/feedback?

herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
edited August 8, 2005 in Cameras
Hi All,

I'm in the process of looking for a superwide zoom - I have a 300D and a D30.

The ones I've researched are:

Canon 10-22 3.5/4.5 EF-S
Tamron 11-18
Tokina 12-24
Sigma 10-20

Now while the Canon is a nice lens (tried it out at B&H), I'm not ecstatic over it due to the price, lack of lens hood and the fact I can't use it on my D30.

The Tokina has the oddball AF/MF clutch mechanism which I've seen mixed review of.

The Tamron seems to be halfway decent.

The Sigma is due to be released mid-June. I've had very good results with Sigmas before (8mm fisheye, 15mm diagonal fisheye).

Has anyone used any of these lenses, and can do you have any "gotchas" for them?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2005
    Sigma has a 12-4 full frame lens. Many manufacturers are benefitting from the smaller image sensor and it is easier to make some lenses. My camera is 1.3x and therefore I have to read the fine print. If you get EF-S lenses or other lenses meant for 1.5x or smaller, then know that if/when you upgrade your camera body the lenses will be useless.
  • Options
    herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Sigma has a 12-4 full frame lens. Many manufacturers are benefitting from the smaller image sensor and it is easier to make some lenses. My camera is 1.3x and therefore I have to read the fine print. If you get EF-S lenses or other lenses meant for 1.5x or smaller, then know that if/when you upgrade your camera body the lenses will be useless.
    I was one of the lucky ones to get a Sigma 10-20 when it came out - it looks like it's sold out already. I'm really happy with the purchase.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Nothing that wide's gonna have a lens hood worth a damn. They can't, it would get in the shot. I'd go for the Canon.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Nothing that wide's gonna have a lens hood worth a damn. They can't, it would get in the shot. I'd go for the Canon.
    If you're shooting landscape etc. or anything that you'll be using a tripod for, then I simply set my camera to 5 second timer instead of 2 second timer, and I take a few step around towards the front of the camera and hold my hand in the air right so that the lens is shaded, completely. If you're careful enough, and obviously if the sun isn't in the frame or at the edge, you'll get results that are infinitely better than any lens hood could ever dream of producing... Try it!

-Matt-

PS: I'm biased towards sigma. They're really starting to kick butt these days; tons of high quality stuff coming out. Apparently, the 12-24 is a gem if you still shoot 35mm sometimes, and the 10-20 is a gem if you've gone completely digital. Check out the current topic on the 10-20mm...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    i use canon 10-22 ef-s and ew-83e (purchased separately) lens hood. a fantastic combination for the rebel or 20d. love the lens.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i use canon 10-22 ef-s and ew-83e (purchased separately) lens hood. a fantastic combination for the rebel or 20d. love the lens.
    nod.gif15524779-Ti.gifnod
  • Options
    mojonesmojones Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    I've got the tamron 11-18 (use it with a 300D) and can't really think of any gotchas with it. I've only had it for a couple of weeks but have really been enjoying shooting with it - some snaps here if you want a look:

http://mojones.smugmug.com/gallery/716560
    http://mojones.smugmug.com/gallery/675607

If you have any other questions, just ask.

mj