Food Art, Onion Rings.

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited April 20, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I think I'm getting pretty darn good at food art, I know I didn't capture the smoke but I'm getting their.

514436327_JfUXs-L.jpg

Comments

• RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Looks good, but I think one of my arteries just hardened. lol
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Thank you RK, I've really diving hard into food photography and learning all about the techniques and so on.

What's cool about food photography in most cases you can eat your subjects!

wings.giflust
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Hi Derek,

I've also been playing with food before eating it :)

So far I haven't settled on a plate "shape" but generally I do prefer one without any decoration.

Having said that, your choice for this shot does nicely frame the food.

Another consideration I've been experimenting with is the size of the portions.

Had you considered shooting less pieces but in a more visually pleasing arrangement?

Kinda like the fancy restaurant where you get half the food at double the cost :)

And for contrast, perhaps a sprinkle of coarse salt?

Cheers, Don
    edited April 18, 2009
    Don Kondra wrote:
    Hi Derek,

I've also been playing with food before eating it :)

So far I haven't settled on a plate "shape" but generally I do prefer one without any decoration.

Having said that, your choice for this shot does nicely frame the food.

Another consideration I've been experimenting with is the size of the portions.

Had you considered shooting less pieces but in a more visually pleasing arrangement?

Kinda like the fancy restaurant where you get half the food at double the cost :)

This next comment won't win any heart friendly awards but a sprinkle of coarse sea salt may be a positive element?

Cheers, Don
    Not really, I've just started playing with my food, and the dish was going to be eat only dish but it looked so nice I had to get my canon sxi and take a shot, Thanks for the advice Don.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    I think I'm getting pretty darn good at food art, I know I didn't capture the smoke but I'm getting their.

Awwwwww these Onion Rings look so good :wow
    My mouth is watering, and I don't even like onion rolleyes1.gif

Looks good to me Chile Chef thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    I would prefer a much more light BG w/ some pretty serious bokeh beyond the back tip of the square plate. Tilt the plate up slightly and turn it from being on center....and if it is tilted, you can't tell that from this photograph. Contrast the color of the batter w/ a colored plate.....light green or maybe a red?
    edited April 19, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    I would prefer a much more light BG w/ some pretty serious bokeh beyond the back tip of the square plate. Tilt the plate up slightly and turn it from being on center....and if it is tilted, you can't tell that from this photograph. Contrast the color of the batter w/ a colored plate.....light green or maybe a red?
    Thank you Skippy, I wasn't even trying that night to take a stunning photo, and it was pretty much on a whem.

And Idlewild, I'm currently saving up for some better plates, What would you recommend for photobility wise?
  • JaneGJaneG Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 19, 2009
    I am afraid it neither looks apertising or aesthetically pleasing.... I appreciate that food photography is hard to do well...

Jane
    edited April 19, 2009
    JaneG wrote:
    I am afraid it neither looks apertising or aesthetically pleasing.... I appreciate that food photography is hard to do well...

Jane
    No problem Jane, Just like animal photography is the same way for me. Buut thanks for the 2 cents.
    edited April 19, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    And Idlewild, I'm currently saving up for some better plates, What would you recommend for photobility wise?

White tablecloth, Window light, Light Green or maybe bright Yellow Plate. Put something under ONE of the corners of the plate to tilt it SLIGHTLY-maybe a folded napkin. You will be pleased! Good luck with it and let us see the results! thumb.gif
    edited April 19, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    White tablecloth, Window light, Light Green or maybe bright Yellow Plate. Put something under ONE of the corners of the plate to tilt it SLIGHTLY-maybe a folded napkin. You will be pleased! Good luck with it and let us see the results! thumb.gif
    Thank you Id, but why the yellow table cloth? Is it because the sight of yellow makes people hungry?
    edited April 19, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Thank you Id, but why the yellow table cloth? Is it because the sight of yellow makes people hungry?

Not yellow tablecloth (does that color really make people hungry?headscratch.gif)

Yellow Plate, maybe like a mustard yellow color.
    edited April 20, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Not yellow tablecloth (does that color really make people hungry?headscratch.gif)

Yellow Plate, maybe like a mustard yellow color.
    Ah Ok, Wiki and other re source say's it does. and if I use a little bit bigger plate I could make it look like more on the plate as well.