Options

Death Valley Weekend

aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited June 21, 2012 in Landscapes
Last weekend (easter) i drove to Death Valley. Two days driving and one day shooting, but still worth it. Death Valley is one of my favorite places. Here are some shots. All pictures should have the GPS coordinates in their EXIF data in case you want to know where I took a shot.
I came via Highway 190 and discovered there were still some flowers near the road.
514165735_S9reX-M.jpg

Dante's view at Sunset was not as spectacular as I had hoped for (not enough clouds). I think I should have come for sunrise.
514174877_GSLtW-M.jpg

This area is not marked on a map, so I took the liberty to call it "Devils Salty Nuts" in accordance with other Death Valley landmarks. I ruined my shoes here.
514170751_Yow66-M.jpg

The Mud Flats were not marked either. I discovered both areas south of Badwater:
514170484_EdTMA-M.jpg

where I was also rewarded with this awesome mirage (the reflection at the bottom is not from water but from air temperature differences, no water anywhere near here)

514173495_JaVsG-M.jpg

In fact it was so hot that I was completely exhausted after one hour on the salt pan (should be better during early morning anyways)

514174852_hcruk-M.jpg

Can't go to Death Valley without stopping at Zabriskie point. Its centrally located and too good not to check out again:
514166675_gXWEv-M.jpg

But in reality I had come for the ghost towns. I scared Dani when I pulled up to Rhyolite in the middle of the night for some light painting. The wind was making strange noises which can easily spook a person in the complete darkness (the illumination came from my flashlight) and the ghost sculptures make a nice erie feeling. booooo

ghost-town-night.jpg

On our way home we also visited Skidoo Ghost Town and Harrisburg:

514160853_cfjJk-M.jpg

Altogetherthe trip was memorable and worth the endless drive from San Jose. I could easily spend several weeks in Death Valley and wouldn't get bored. It is so huge, that visitor crowds are generally no problem.
I shot most photographs during the day, although the sunset and sunrise are much better due to the harsh shadows. Maybe next time I will have a few more days and spend my days scouting and my golden hour shooting.

For more photographs of my recent trip: My Death Valley Gallery

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Very nice set of photos !
    Painting with light is my favorite
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    jaminphotojaminphoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    nice set of photos. I was also in Death Valley on the easter weekend. I agree with the eerie wind sound at night. I was taking nightshot at the twenty mule team wagon site and have to look over my shoulder couple of times because of the sound.

--ricardo
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Very nice series Andre, looks like you had a productive trip.

I was there that weekend as well and did a night shoot (Friday night) at
    Rhyolite as well.

Completely agree that you could spend weeks on end exploring the
    that part of CA.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    nehas8nehas8 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2012
    It looks like a wonderful place. And you got some awesome shots! I will say definitely worth the two days drive.