1st attempt at off camera lighting

austinstrobistaustinstrobist Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited April 21, 2009 in People
I am a hobbyist that is exploring SLRs and off camera flash. I just purchased a SB600, umbrella, and a light stand to go with my D90.

Strobist info: Shot with a SB600 right of model (aka sister in law) through an umbrella triggered with CLS.

Please provide C&C. Don't worry you won't hurt my feelings and I also wanted to thank everyone here because I have received my inspiration as well as my knowledge based upon your images and your posts.

Thanks!

515110927_feytb-L.jpg
website & blog

stefanochoi.com

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Welcome!!! wave.gif

I'm still learning myself and can claim NO authority, but what I see:

The good:
    - you have a beautiful SIL!
    - good makeup job on eyes and lips
    - beautiful pose - she looks very comfortable, and I love the way the beading on the scarf is lying on her arm
    - I like the modelling shadows on the LH side of her face and the glowing effect the position of your flash created.
    - the light falloff to the background works well for you here, as it really complements the colours and pose

The nits:
    - - light possibly (here's where my own inexperience shows, because I'm just not sure) a little too hot on her face - it works, but it seems just a tiny bit too bright for me in comparison to her arm and the scarf
    - my main nit is that I think you may have blurred her face some during post-processing? It just seems ever so slightly plasticky to me; if that's makeup rather than PP, perhaps tone it down slightly next time so there's more natural skin texture to work with?

All in all, I think you did a great job!! thumb.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    I'm liking it. And I don't think the face is over exposed...but I do agree that there seems to be a bit of oddity about the post processing...on my monitor, the nose blends in with the face and I can't make out the outline...hmmm...kinda strange...maybe it's just my monitor...anyone else see this.

Anyway, I really like the lighting. Nice model...too...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • austinstrobistaustinstrobist Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Thanks divamum and I appreciate the warm welcome!

What is a SIL?

The lighting was tough. I don't really have a place to shoot so we used the dining room and moved some stuff around. She was about 6 ft away from the back wall which allowed me to get some darkness and contrast but I only have 1 strobe, a SB600, which does not provide a large amount of light which is why there is a lot of fall off.

I am a complete noob when it comes to PP and it is definitely my lack of training that created that plastic look. I will try experimenting some more with my PP techniques but thanks for the feedback!

Comments like this will definitely move me in the right direction!

Thanks!
    divamum wrote:
    Welcome!!! wave.gif

I'm still learning myself and can claim NO authority, but what I see:

The good:
    - you have a beautiful SIL!
    - good makeup job on eyes and lips
    - beautiful pose - she looks very comfortable, and I love the way the beading on the scarf is lying on her arm
    - I like the modelling shadows on the LH side of her face and the glowing effect the position of your flash created.
    - the light falloff to the background works well for you here, as it really complements the colours and pose

The nits:
    - - light possibly (here's where my own inexperience shows, because I'm just not sure) a little too hot on her face - it works, but it seems just a tiny bit too bright for me in comparison to her arm and the scarf
    - my main nit is that I think you may have blurred her face some during post-processing? It just seems ever so slightly plasticky to me; if that's makeup rather than PP, perhaps tone it down slightly next time so there's more natural skin texture to work with?

All in all, I think you did a great job!! thumb.gif
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
    edited April 18, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    I'm liking it. And I don't think the face is over exposed...but I do agree that there seems to be a bit of oddity about the post processing...on my monitor, the nose blends in with the face and I can't make out the outline...hmmm...kinda strange...maybe it's just my monitor...anyone else see this.

Anyway, I really like the lighting. Nice model...too...

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback Ed911.

I know my PP skills are not up to par yet and I am just starting to learn how to effectively use Lightroom. I will go back and see if i can tone down the PP around the face.

Thanks again for the constructive feedback!
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    I really like it :)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Thanks divamum and I appreciate the warm welcome!

What is a SIL?

Sister in law :D
    The lighting was tough. I don't really have a place to shoot so we used the dining room and moved some stuff around. She was about 6 ft away from the back wall which allowed me to get some darkness and contrast but I only have 1 strobe, a SB600, which does not provide a large amount of light which is why there is a lot of fall off.

Understood, but my point is that I think you USED that really well to your advantage - completely and totally works for the shot!

Did you use a reflector, or is that literally just from the one light/umbrella? Foam-core board (available cheaply and in diffferent sizes at hobby shops, walmart, and even some dollar stores) is great for cheapie reflectors. I actually use clothespegs to attach it to a music stand and then use that as a reflector stand/boom - it's not perfect, but it works!
    I am a complete noob when it comes to PP and it is definitely my lack of training that created that plastic look. I will try experimenting some more with my PP techniques but thanks for the feedback!

One trick I got from the Scott Kelby book (which is WONDERFUL) to minimise wrinkles and undereye shadows is to set the blending on the cloning brush to "lighten". I usually use it - on a separate layer, so I can adjust further - at ~ 7-25%, seldom more than that, and usually at the lower end of the range. I build it up gradually and, because I've done it on a separate layer, I can let even more original skin texture show through if I want to. It's time-consuming, but works pretty well.
    edited April 19, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback and great tips!

I really like the reflector idea and I think I will check it out. I don't have Photoshop just Lightroom but that sounds like a great way to get more realistic looking PP.

Thanks again!
    divamum wrote:
    Sister in law :D

Understood, but my point is that I think you USED that really well to your advantage - completely and totally works for the shot!

Did you use a reflector, or is that literally just from the one light/umbrella? Foam-core board (available cheaply and in diffferent sizes at hobby shops, walmart, and even some dollar stores) is great for cheapie reflectors. I actually use clothespegs to attach it to a music stand and then use that as a reflector stand/boom - it's not perfect, but it works!

One trick I got from the Scott Kelby book (which is WONDERFUL) to minimise wrinkles and undereye shadows is to set the blending on the cloning brush to "lighten". I usually use it - on a separate layer, so I can adjust further - at ~ 7-25%, seldom more than that, and usually at the lower end of the range. I build it up gradually and, because I've done it on a separate layer, I can let even more original skin texture show through if I want to. It's time-consuming, but works pretty well.
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Personally, I think this is a great shot. thumb.gif

My only suggestions: turn her head a little toward the camera. The angle of the shot takes the far eye almost out into the background. No face left between eye and background.

I understand that you only have the one light, so I think this is very good for one light. But, when you get more, a hair light would be nice.
    515110927_feytb-L.jpg
    Randy
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    I love it!!! I only have one light also, but have not experimented with it off camera yet... just on camera, bouncing off walls and ceiling. Off camera is on my "to do list" next. Thanks for sharing the portrait.

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Put this in a show and you've got a winner. To nit pick as rwells said you technically should have a tiny bit more face showing on the far eye. The strong shadow does not bother me, it is a mood maker in my opinion. The pp makes her look great which is what our clients want to see. They don't necessarily want to see all the pores. That could also be the amt of makeup that some orientals use. Bottom line, tereffic job.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    I intended to mention in my original post that you have done a great job with the colors. I get the feeling that I am looking in through a window...and I think that's just what we are striving for when we take a photograph. I agree with Hackbone...it's a winner...very nicely done.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited April 20, 2009
    I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and helpful insight on things I can change on my next shooting opportunity.

Thanks for clarifying the head position and the far eye. I didn't notice that and now I see I can make that improvement next time. I was so focused on getting the lighting right.

This forum has been great in helping me become a better photographer and I am learning everyday!
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Excellent clap.gif . The only addition that i can make of limited value is that a little (and i mean a very little) more light to spill on the hair would bring out the shadow detail.
    edited April 20, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Excellent clap.gif . The only addition that i can make of limited value is that a little (and i mean a very little) more light to spill on the hair would bring out the shadow detail.

Thanks for the advice.

Do you think this can be accomplished from the pop up flash? Is it possible to dial it down to use as a hair fill?
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Thanks for the advice.

Do you think this can be accomplished from the pop up flash? Is it possible to dial it down to use as a hair fill?

I think even dialed down, the direction of the pop-up flash wouldn't be good. A white foam core board off to camera left would probably provide just enough bounce without killing the great contrast.
    edited April 20, 2009
    Thanks for the advice Travis. I have to try that out next time.

SC
    Travis wrote:
    I think even dialed down, the direction of the pop-up flash wouldn't be good. A white foam core board off to camera left would probably provide just enough bounce without killing the great contrast.
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    My3Sons wrote:
    I love it!!! I only have one light also, but have not experimented with it off camera yet... just on camera, bouncing off walls and ceiling. Off camera is on my "to do list" next. Thanks for sharing the portrait.

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com

me too, I can only hope my first attempts will look this good.
    Great start I think !!clap.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    I think most of it has been already mentioned. I just wanted to say hi & welcome ... and very nice photo iloveyou.gif
    edited April 21, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I think most of it has been already mentioned. I just wanted to say hi & welcome ... and very nice photo iloveyou.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome. Everyone seems like good people here.

I really appreciate the comment on the photo and I have to say that I love your site and your lifestyle shots. They are amazing!
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
    edited April 21, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    me too, I can only hope my first attempts will look this good.
    Great start I think !!clap.gif
    I am sure they will, I am a complete amateur!
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com