5DMkII battery LP_E6 available

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited April 23, 2009 in Cameras
I was just in Arlington Camera, (Arlington, TX) and they have (30) Canon LP-E6 batteries for the 5DMkII -- IN STOCK

Link
Randy

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 18, 2009
    Maybe more like 28, I ordered two of them Randy!thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    Tallyn's has them for $75, as I mentioned last week in this post: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1089505&postcount=24
    edited April 19, 2009
    Thanks Joel, I paid 4 bucks more, but was willing to be assured deliveryne_nau.gif

Maybe this shortage will be finally addressed.

edited April 19, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thanks Joel, I paid 4 bucks more, but was willing to be assured deliveryne_nau.gif
    Well, more like 5 bucks more, right?

Just curious, but what do you mean by "assured delivery"? Are you suggesting that Tallyn's wasn't able to assure delivery? headscratch.gif
    edited April 20, 2009
    Not at all, I just found out from Randy that Arlington Camera has 30 specimens, so I ordered quickly.

No agenda at all.

• cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    funny, I'm running out of memory WAY before I run out of battery juice. I filled up 2 8Gb cards - 260+ shots each (plus some deletions along the way) over the course of a day and still had half a battery left... I was amazed! I still am!
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
    edited April 22, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Not at all, I just found out from Randy that Arlington Camera has 30 specimens, so I ordered quickly.
    Ok, just wondering. Frankly I didn't know or care how many batteries Tallyn's had. I know for a fact they keep their inventories on their website updated in real time. So I know when I click "buy", I'm assured delivery. B&H and Amazon are the same way, as any decent web vendor should be (but many aren't.) BTW, Tallyn's is still showing the battery as being in stock.

My spare arrived today. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    has anyone determined if long expos with NR eat the batteries like the 5d did?
    Aaron Nelson
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 22, 2009
    has anyone determined if long expos with NR eat the batteries like the 5d did?

I would be surprised if the 5D MKII was any better than the 5D. Part of the problem is the imager and part is the shutter. On both models the shutter is "active" during a long exposure.

The Canon 1D/1Ds shutters have a "latch" to hold the shutter during long exposures and they only draw power for the imager and some control circuits (and I think part of the processor as well). In those cameras the current drain should be considerably less and the strain on the shutter motor should be less as well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 22, 2009
    good info, i did not know that! thanks
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 22, 2009
    cdub wrote:
    funny, I'm running out of memory WAY before I run out of battery juice. I filled up 2 8Gb cards - 260+ shots each (plus some deletions along the way) over the course of a day and still had half a battery left... I was amazed! I still am!

Most of Canon's prosumer DSLRs will shoot 500- 1000 frames on a good battery charge on a nice summer day in the sunshine. No problem there.

The problem is when you start shooting 2 or 5 minute exposures in cold weather. That will challenge batteries rather quickly. Or if your are hiking in the outback, without access to electric power to recharge, for 4 or 5 days and shooting morning, noon and night.

That is why there are lots of us with 5DMkIIs who just are uncomfortable with only a single battery.

I will sleep better with three batteries for my camera - yes, most of the year I could get by with just one, but I don't want my camera to die at the wrong moment due to a dead battery.

With 16 Gb chips and biggr on the way, one can store a lot of images if one has battery power.

edited April 22, 2009
    ya i hear you! i just dont like the idea of not having a backup period...

it would be nice to have a backup of everything to go along with the backup battery...lol, oh wait you do... (bugger!)
    Aaron Nelson
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    I got mine from the awesome crew at Tallyns. They seem to have them in stock a lot more frequently now.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Most of Canon's prosumer DSLRs will shoot 500- 1000 frames on a good battery charge on a nice summer day in the sunshine. No problem there.

The problem is when you start shooting 2 or 5 minute exposures in cold weather. That will challenge batteries rather quickly. Or if your are hiking in the outback, without access to electric power to recharge, for 4 or 5 days and shooting morning, noon and night.

That is why there are lots of us with 5DMkIIs who just are uncomfortable with only a single battery.

I will sleep better with three batteries for my camera - yes, most of the year I could get by with just one, but I don't want my camera to die at the wrong moment due to a dead battery.

With 16 Gb chips and biggr on the way, one can store a lot of images if one has battery power.

Yeah, I get what you mean. That's separating real enthusiasts from me, I guess. Still, I was surprised that I could hammer out what I would guess to be 800 frames with roughly half a charge. I searched and searched for a backup battery leading to that day, found one, and then found myself amused that I ought to have spent the $95 on a third 8Gb memory card! Oh well, like you said, the backup battery is there when needed, and takes up a lot less space in my camera bag than a charger.
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L