Options

Prague Nov 08

BradJudyBradJudy Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited April 20, 2009 in Journeys
Last November, I went to Prague to attend the wedding of a good friend. I brought along my trusty Canon A630 (I think I'm the exception to the rule around here since I use a P&S) and a Canonet 19 for B&W film (Kodak Tri-X 400). I just recently got back into shooting film after a long hiatus.

The days in Prague alternated between foggy and sunny, providing an interesting assortment of shooting opportunities. The overcast, but not foggy, times weren't very exciting.

This was my third trip to Europe, but my first to Prague and the Czech Republic. This was also my first trip into Eastern Europe and it was interesting to see signs of the communist days, tributes to revolutionaries and the takeover of heavy capitalism (particularly in the tourist areas). I enjoyed the city and while the weather wasn't always pretty, it was nice to be visiting during the off season when things were a bit quieter (although a few sites were closed for the season).

Naturally, some of the first sites we saw were in the Old Town area, around the square:

411940307_fxqjR-X2.jpg

Including the famous astronomical clock (detail on the calendar of saints)

413429199_y6zKo-L.jpg

Nearby is the ever-popular Charles Bridge and its statues. I didn't know the significance of the Hebrew on this one until I returned and read the history of the statue.

413428844_X7a4w-L.jpg

If you go, I highly recommend checking out the bridge at night too, particularly if it's foggy.

413429686_62Dmn-L.jpg

The center of revolution in Prague is Wenceslas Square (Vaclavske namesti) where Velvet Revolution protests occurred.

431971689_wKsJ6-L.jpg

The wedding was held at St Ludmilla church at Namesti Miru. This is the groom entering the church before the wedding:

412874005_FtWLC-L.jpg

The reception was at the U Prince hotel in the old town square, including drinks on the roof providing a great dusk view of the old town area.

413429699_xvNrt-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited April 18, 2009
    Of course, Prague Castle is the biggest attraction in town and we visited it once as a group. I later returned in the morning for additional photos and that was great. If you go, I highly recommend visiting the castle just after it opens, but before St Vitus Cathedral opens. The large courtyards in the castle were completely empty (of course, it was also the off season). In less than an hour, the tour buses began to arrive.

The doors to St Vitus:

412874089_Nv2Vt-L.jpg

The cathedral spires in the fog:

412874106_L3SbA-L.jpg

Inside are a number of beautiful items, including the Mucha stained glass window:

413429507_iLEhH-L-2.jpg

The guard at the main gate.

414456784_Bft49-L.jpg

I also highly recommend visiting the old castle - Vysehrad. It's more of a 'walk in the park' type experience and while the main church isn't massive, it contains lovely art nouveau paintings of saints. The cemetary not only includes a few famous graves, but one of the more interesting collections of contemporary tombstones I've seen. Unfortunately, the weather didn't make for great photos that day.

I managed to find a few fun things while wandering out of the typical areas. I saw this very cool painting near the Vltavska metro stop:

411956126_joEwU-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    We did a couple of day side-trips from Prague. There are lots of these available, going to various castles and sites. The bride had selected one of the less common castles, Cesky Sternberg, to visit and it was a lovely trip into the hills. Here's a stitched pano viewing the small town from the castle:

411941369_ENimB-X2.jpg

We also went on one of the very popular side-trips to Kutna Hora and the Sedlec Ossuary (aka the bone church). Depending on your views of life and death, the ossuary is may seem disturbing or interesting - it hosts the bones from tens of thousands of dead from overflowing cemeteries.

413429268_AXRyE-L.jpg

Since it was an off-season weekend, Kutna Hora was extremely quiet. Many places were closed, but we had a nice walk through the town, a visit to the cathedral and the weather was great.

515789070_XX7Hj-L.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    What a nice little trip.....for to be living vicariously thru others trips to one beautiful city.....of course the inside of St.Vitus just screams super wide angle....especially for pix of the caskets of the knights and kings on the left side (left of main entrance to St. Vitus).......
    Really nice to see photos from the not so touristy areas also......that is my main goal as soon as I can get back....shoot the stuff off the beaten path from the toursity areas.....

Great job..well done and as I must say ......Makes me yearn to get back there............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    Thanks Art. I would have liked to have reached more off-the-beaten-path locations, but time and traveling with a group didn't always permit. I did some wandering in the mornings and evenings. A group of us went to a hockey game one night, which was a lot of fun. Their O2 arena is very new and very nice. Tickets ranged from $5-15USD, only $15 for the best seats.

I came across the mega-graffiti wall on a morning trek to the large flea market in town. The flea market itself wasn't too interesting, but the farmers market on the premises was neat.

I went to a couple of museums. I really enjoyed the Mucha museum, which I recommend to anyone who like Mucha, Art Nouveau, or art in general. It's small, but well done. On the other hand, the Communism Museum was mostly just a collection of items from the communist era of the country and wasn't very cohesive. There was a nice video about the revolution, but I'd skip it unless you're fascinated with communist items.

I certainly wouldn't mind going back, but we have a long list of places to see. :)
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    This is wonderful series ! very nice city and beautiful photographs
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery