Maternity

nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
edited April 29, 2009 in People
I myself had a baby about 7 months ago and am just getting back into shooting. Below are some maternity shots with two very close friends of mine...they are the same number of weeks preggers as my baby is old....hummmm

C&C welcome....

514643459_RXoYQ-M.jpg

514643599_P8gbF-M.jpg

514643529_swJkB-M.jpg

514643708_sbmKg-M.jpg

514643769_txHRo-M.jpg
Nicole
D3, and other Nikon goodies
Shilliday Photography
Blog
Facebook

Comments

• nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    bump
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    #4 is great, and #5 is pretty funny. Love her expression. #1 is a well executed classic maternity pose. #3 looks a little too sexy for me, but it's a nice shot. And why shouldn't they be sexy if they made a baby?

Caroline
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I like #3 - different than any other maternity shot. They probably won't frame it in the dining room or use it for pregnancy announcements - but they'll cherish it none-the-less.

Interesting idea to have the father shirtless....probably makes mom feel a tad more comfortable, less exposed. I agree Caroline, nothing wrong with a sexy maternity shot.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Number four is my favorite...

Number 1 is nice...but a little hot...see her hands...pigment is going away and her left shoulder begins to blend in with the background. If you had used a darker background you would see that these are real hot spots that weren't metered correctly. Are you using studio flashes, or strobes off camera.

2. Is weird...not because of the colors...I'm very open to interpretive art... but because the photo is way less than flattering to the subject's body. They way she is posed, it looks as though one of her legs is way smaller than the other. Look just above the knee on both legs and see that one looks smaller than the other...with both being silhouetted it's hard to follow the lines.

3. This is my favorite shot. But, in my opinion...too hot...her belly goes away into the background. Pose is excellent...idea is great...watch your exposure. If she weren't pregnant and these weren't maternity shots...I would say...this works...but since the belly shot is the idea of the image...I would like to see at least an outline against the background. This one is by far the best of your shots posted...the intimacy...the pose...it's all there. The kiss looks just right.

4. Well done...good idea. Also one of my favorites.

5. Nice.

Keep posting. I would like to see your next project. Thanks for sharing. And, my opinion is just food for thought. To give you some ideas...some things to think about. Next time you shoot the belly shot, like in 3...drop the exposure down and see if you don't get some great shadows to work with.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited April 29, 2009
    #4 is great, and #5 is pretty funny. Love her expression. #1 is a well executed classic maternity pose. #3 looks a little too sexy for me, but it's a nice shot. And why shouldn't they be sexy if they made a baby?

Caroline

Thanks Caroline! They did want a few sexy shots!
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
    edited April 29, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    I like #3 - different than any other maternity shot. They probably won't frame it in the dining room or use it for pregnancy announcements - but they'll cherish it none-the-less.

Interesting idea to have the father shirtless....probably makes mom feel a tad more comfortable, less exposed. I agree Caroline, nothing wrong with a sexy maternity shot.

It is funny what you said about the father being shirtless. She made him take if off!
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
    edited April 29, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Number four is my favorite...

Number 1 is nice...but a little hot...see her hands...pigment is going away and her left shoulder begins to blend in with the background. If you had used a darker background you would see that these are real hot spots that weren't metered correctly. Are you using studio flashes, or strobes off camera.

2. Is weird...not because of the colors...I'm very open to interpretive art... but because the photo is way less than flattering to the subject's body. They way she is posed, it looks as though one of her legs is way smaller than the other. Look just above the knee on both legs and see that one looks smaller than the other...with both being silhouetted it's hard to follow the lines.

3. This is my favorite shot. But, in my opinion...too hot...her belly goes away into the background. Pose is excellent...idea is great...watch your exposure. If she weren't pregnant and these weren't maternity shots...I would say...this works...but since the belly shot is the idea of the image...I would like to see at least an outline against the background. This one is by far the best of your shots posted...the intimacy...the pose...it's all there. The kiss looks just right.

4. Well done...good idea. Also one of my favorites.

5. Nice.

Keep posting. I would like to see your next project. Thanks for sharing. And, my opinion is just food for thought. To give you some ideas...some things to think about. Next time you shoot the belly shot, like in 3...drop the exposure down and see if you don't get some great shadows to work with.

Thanks Ed! This is what i was looking for!

We had to travel a few states to shoot these...we actually were planning on shooting outside, so i didn't bring much lighting with me. Darn Rain! So...just two studio lights.

I am working on my studio work, so your comments are much appreciated.
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook