Lowell with 12-24

david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited June 5, 2005 in Landscapes
I took my new 12-24 Tokina lens to Lowell, Mass this afternoon. Didn't get to take too many pictures, it was super hot and my wife and daughter didn't appreciate hiking around town.

I haven't decided whether to keep this lens or sell it. It's great at 24mm, but quite a bit of distortion (as one might expect) at 12mm. Thank goodness for being able to correct perspective in PS.

There are some super works of art around the city. One day I'm going to take to time to photograph more of them.

23997936-L.jpg

Along with plenty of old churches, this is one of the 12mm shots that needed serious perspective correction:

23999754-L.jpg

But the most impressive things are the mill buildings. We looked at models in a couple of buildings that are being coverted to lofts. I would love to live in one of these.

23997939-L.jpg

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2005
    Love the shots, especially the mill one since it reminds me of AP US History back in high school when I wrote a research paper on the mill girls of Lowell :)
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    Love the shots, especially the mill one since it reminds me of AP US History back in high school when I wrote a research paper on the mill girls of Lowell :)
    Thanks Shima. Lowell is a nice town for photography. There are some good exhibits on the Lowell Girls in the National Park buildings.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nice shots. The church and the mill look odd to me. Did you sharpen? How?
    Or is this just the lens?
    If not now, when?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:

Strong use of Shadow/Highlights perhaps?? The images seem vignetted to me- notice the dark bands along the side of the images.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Hi Rutt, the church and mill shots were both adjusted quite a bit using the perspective crop feature. At 12mm, this lens produces a lot of distortion. PS does a pretty good job of stretching the image, but I'd prefer not to have to do it.

This 12-24 lens is much better from about 16mm and up, but of course I want to use it at 12mm all the time.

I only lightly sharpened the images, just on the L channel in LAB mode.

In a couple of weeks I'll be taking some landscapes in Utah so I'll know after that if I want to keep the lens.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Really nice shots David! I love the church with the red doors!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
    edited June 5, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Strong use of Shadow/Highlights perhaps?? The images seem vignetted to me- notice the dark bands along the side of the images.
    I did go through a lot of trouble to get that vignette action working properly :D
    Nir wrote:
    Really nice shots David! I love the church with the red doors!
    Thanks Nir. I agree, it's those bright red doors that make this church an interesting subject.

I'm hoping to one day get the chance to photograph the churches in your area.
  • Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    those are nice. i like the last one.
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~