Options

PS3 Transform

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited April 19, 2009 in Finishing School
This must be relatively easy. I want to change the size of an object to put it in another shape.

I want to transform, but keep the aspect ratio constant. I keeep trying all the transforms, but they seem to be free transform, where I get it too skinny or too fat.

There must be a fixed aspect ration transform, but I cant figure it out.

Thanks,

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    This must be relatively easy. I want to change the size of an object to put it in another shape.

I want to transform, but keep the aspect ratio constant. I keeep trying all the transforms, but they seem to be free transform, where I get it too skinny or too fat.

There must be a fixed aspect ration transform, but I cant figure it out.

Thanks,

Z

In CS3, Edit->Transform->Scale

Click on the little paper clip between the width and height boxes, then enter the transform in one of them as a percentage. The other will be calculated automatically.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    Free Transform is one of those great tricks that I only recently realized could be helped to solve white borders on edits done in a image.

Sometimes after I have selected a portion of an image for a curve or some fancy manuever, I still am left with a white outline or something even after I have been careful with my selection ( at least I thought I was clever:D ) - Free Transform to the rescue.

I simply copy the selection to a new layer, and then enlarge the selection 2 or 3 pixels sufficient to cover the border beneath in the lower layer, and the offending white border is covered up and gone.

A lot easier than redoing a long selection process, or painting the border away pixel by pixel.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    In CS3, Edit->Transform->Scale

Click on the little paper clip between the width and height boxes, then enter the transform in one of them as a percentage. The other will be calculated automatically.

Very cool....but is there a way to grab the corners and drag them while keeping the aspect ratio constant?

(Although this really helps me get what I needed done......)

515793154_NVY3Q-L.jpg

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    Very cool....but is there a way to grab the corners and drag them while keeping the aspect ratio constant?

Hold down the Shift key while clicking and dragging to keep the aspect ratio consistent while scaling.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Unless I'm missing something here, you are missing a very basic point of the free transform function. If you hold down the shift key while dragging out in free transform from a corner, the aspect ration will remain the same.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Howdy.

Also:

Hold down Alt key while dragging to transform from center.

Hold down Shift+Alt while dragging to scale from center.

Tip: Have "Info" box showing (Menu>Window>Info or F8) to see the dimensions of your transform as you drag.

You can also make a simple Photoshop Action that will allow you resize one image or a whole folder full of images to any size you designate with one click (assuming your images are already selected).
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Hold down the Shift key while clicking and dragging to keep the aspect ratio consistent while scaling.

That's it! Simple, easy - and I should have figured it out myself - thanks!

Z
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something here, you are missing a very basic point of the free transform function. If you hold down the shift key while dragging out in free transform from a corner, the aspect ration will remain the same.

Perfect, thanks!

Z