Yesterday's Senior Session

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited April 20, 2009 in People
I did a session for this sweet young lady yesterday. She'd had to cancel another session earlier in the week because of a sinus infection, so I squeezed her in yesterday. Our session was relatively short. I was a bit limited by her preference for upper body only shots. It seems she's recently gained quite a bit of weight and is not comfortable with it. We may get together later, in the summer, to do more (hopefully some full length).

1.515865905_XvsGG-L-1.jpg

2.515758928_Levqj-L.jpg

3.515772953_abdpE-L.jpg

4.515963586_94Pot-L.jpg

5.515981137_yKZQv-L.jpg

Caroline

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Very beautiful girl, i really really like #2.

Nice job! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    #4 is for sure my top pick - I like the muted colours. Beautiful light in all of them!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    #4 is for sure my top pick - I like the muted colours. Beautiful light in all of them!

Good to know- I've processed more of these both more true color and muted colors.

Boy you guys were quick this time!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    That's cuz I'm sitting here editing and printing..... :D
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    I think you did great! #4 is my fav too :)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Photographing someone who is uncomfortable about their look, for whatever reason, is tough. Doubly so when they dictate the framing. I have produced MUCH more flattering shots taken in full length poses than in head and shoulders only for heavier subjects.

That said, I think you did a great job. Your flash is a tad strong in a few of them, but not overly so, and you were smart to use the flash for sure.thumb.gif

Teens are fun, but also much more aware of percieved flaws. The key is getting them "into" the shoot. One good way to dissolve the self awareness of "posing" is to be very particular about hands and feet. Make a big fuss.....walk over and shape and position their hands. Talk to them about how important hands and feet are in a portrait. After a few of those frames, their awareness of the rest of the body/pose will be less pronounced as they try to make sure their hands are posed well. The result....overall...should be a more relaxed look. Just watch out for "white knuckles".:D
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Thanks, Jeff. Your the man when it comes to senior portraits:) Love the advice. I think I'll have another crack at this senior in the summer. Then we'll have more time for a laid back session. I felt like I had to use some powerful flash to work with the glowing backlit hair (which she loves).

Caroline
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Very nice set. 4 is my fav.
    LadyTX