Dropped my Camera oh the humanity!!!

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited April 22, 2009 in Cameras
Yes I know what camera straps are for but for some reason I did not have it around my neck.
Watching my D300 dropping in what was like slow motion towards the concrete,yes concrete tarmac at the Beale AFB airshow. I was changing from my 300mm f4 to my 18-200mm to get a wide shot of the parachutist and circling planes.
I immediately picked it up and finished the lens changed and went for the shot I think I was still not breathing yet. The shutter fired and the image came up on the viewfinder.
Then came a break in the action and I gave the camera the once over and found it had landed right on the ISO WB QUAL Shutter mode selector on the upper right corner of the camera. Other than the imbedded pieces of sand and gravel that brushed off everything still worked.
Thanking the Creator and all lessergods
I guess it was a good thing that it did not have the extra weight of the lens and that Nikon makes a pretty tough camera,one of the points that made me choose this camera in the first place.
516105591_mdjej-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    Stuff happens. I'm glad that you were able to continue shooting.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    I don't have my glasses with me, but I see a spec, dead pixel (?) in the center of the photo. Is that just from the hosting or ???? Just curious. Glad to hear it kept working.
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Yes I know what camera straps are for but for some reason I did not have it around my neck.
    Watching my D300 dropping in what was like slow motion towards the concrete,yes concrete tarmac at the Beale AFB airshow. I was changing from my 300mm f4 to my 18-200mm to get a wide shot of the parachutist and circling planes.
    I immediately picked it up and finished the lens changed and went for the shot I think I was still not breathing yet. The shutter fired and the image came up on the viewfinder.
    Then came a break in the action and I gave the camera the once over and found it had landed right on the ISO WB QUAL Shutter mode selector on the upper right corner of the camera. Other than the imbedded pieces of sand and gravel that brushed off everything still worked.
    Thanking the Creator and all lessergods
    I guess it was a good thing that it did not have the extra weight of the lens and that Nikon makes a pretty tough camera,one of the points that made me choose this camera in the first place.

And what did we learn from this????? :D

Ok, now that I am done being a smart @$$. Glad to see that not too much damage was done. Thus the difference between an entry level body and a higher grade body.

p.s. That strap and buckle thing in your car isn't just for keeping your shopping bag from falling on the floor. rolleyes1.gif Ok, I guess I wasn't quite done with the smart @$$ thing.
  • goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    I don't have my glasses with me, but I see a spec, dead pixel (?) in the center of the photo. Is that just from the hosting or ???? Just curious. Glad to hear it kept working.

This is what that "spec" ended up being.....
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Hey Doug looks like you were in the same vicinity. Could you hear me whimpering shamelessly? I only was able to spend 2 hours there before I had to go to work.
    Yes I was trying to travel light I only took 2 lenses, I should have put the 18-200 on the D50 and the 300f4 on the D300 and just switched cameras.
    I want to invent a camera strap that will not make your neck sweaty, I love my neoprene stretchy strap for comfort but when it gets warm
    Yes that is the speck here is the another shot of him
    517476247_YXmuj-M-0.jpg
    The U2 was nice enough to fly near the moon
    515496093_dp7MQ-M-2.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Nice shots and glad the camera fared welled from the drop.

I too experienced an almost blunder with my Canon. I was getting ready to take some shots of my nephew and putting the camera on my tri-pod it slipped out of my hands. BUT the camera strap saved my camera from hitting the stones below. The strap wrapped itself around the tripod and the camera hung in midair as my heart pounded loudly while I held my breath.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    It take a licking and keeps on clicking.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Glad to hear its working.

Nice series, I wish I had specs like that...
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com