5D MII and 580EX II

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited April 22, 2009 in Cameras
580EX II flash mounted on the 5D MII - flash display indicates that the flash is mounted on a crop body. :scratch

580EX II always appears to blow out images. I have to constantly dial-down the flash to -1 to -2/3 EV for fill flash to keep from blowing out the images. It has to be me - but I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Arrgghh....

Comments

• VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    In my case, it's always underexposed by around 2/3 when I use 580EXII headscratch.gif, but it's pretty consistent, so not really a big deal.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    David,

It does sound like there is an error in how the camera and flash are communicating. I am not sure what to suggest but if you can find another copy of the flash or camera to test that might tell you which side is generating the error.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    I've posted here before about this same combo, and how mine underexposes by -1 stop. It's the same no matter which of my (3) 580's I use.

I just spoke with a Canon CPS representative yesterday about this. He stated to send the body in with a good explanation of the issue and test images on a CD.

I'm going to send mine in when I get back from my trip next week.
    Randy
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I will get some test shots and see if I can get some help from Canon.

thumb.gif
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Could be that ISO is too high or aperture is too wide .. happend to me once.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Second guessing that you haven't tried the obvious yet: put your camera on full program (green square) mode and take a few shots. Flash should meter properly on the focus subject. If still not working, disregard and do what the others said!

Metering in Av or Tv always comes from the camera irrespective of a flash mounted. Metering in full Manual or full program comes from the flash.
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L