Options

What is this and how can I fix it?

hook78chook78c Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited April 25, 2009 in Technique
In going through a recent shoot I noticed a couple of the photos looked like this, really bright and lacking detail. 516257143_vNaS7-L.jpg

But the shot right after like seconds after would be ok like this. 516257215_vRj7T-L.jpg
Is this caused by lighting issues or does it have to do with the shutter speed, camera shake,etc.
thanks for your help, photography is such a steep learning curve, phew!

Comments

• Options
    BobbyMarshallBobbyMarshall Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    the first shot looks out of focus. are you using autofocus? if so, are you allowing your camera to lock focus by pressing the shutter half way/waiting for beep/then fully pressing shutter?

what camera settings & lighting were you using?
    Canon 50D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    2x White Lightning x1600 | 580 EXII
    Sekonic L-358 | 2x Pocket Wizard II | TC-80N3 Remote Shutter

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 20, 2009
    I think the first shot suffers from movement due to a long shutter speed. The lighting looks artificial, but there is definitely movement of the subject noted, so I doubt this was entirely a flash shot.

The movement makes it look out of focus, sort of.

It looks slightly over exposed also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,879 moderator
    edited April 20, 2009
    Which camera, lens and flash were you using?
    Were you using center dot only for focus?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    momwacmomwac Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Spot metering while in Av mode? The first frame is overexposed and blurred, apparently due to a long shutter speed. I'd guess you metered some of that black background or black clothing in the first frame, vs. some skin in the second. Both images show a lot of black in the center area, where the camera would be spot metering. Is the second frame cropped? Or perhaps the camera you're using is a Rebel-series Canon which supports partial metering, not spot metering, and your second frame happens to include a fair amount of skin in the center area.