Nikon D80 Shutter Error??

mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited April 20, 2009 in Cameras
I was downtown shooting today with a Nikon 18-55 kit lens. I'm guessing I was at a focal length of 30-ish millimeters. The shutter speed was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/20 of a second. I was in aperture mode and wasn't paying attention. Sorry! The problem that I experienced was once the shutter opened and it sounded like it was trying to close, it couldn't or didn't. I turned the camera off and on a couple of times and that was no help. I carefully removed the lens and took a peek and the shutter was indeed open. I replaced the lens and turned the camera off and on a couple more times and it finally released. I took another 40 or so pictures tonight and had no problems. Has anyone experienced this? Is this something to be concerned about? Thanks!

Kris

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    mud390 wrote:
    I was downtown shooting today with a Nikon 18-55 kit lens. I'm guessing I was at a focal length of 30-ish millimeters. The shutter speed was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/20 of a second. I was in aperture mode and wasn't paying attention. Sorry! The problem that I experienced was once the shutter opened and it sounded like it was trying to close, it couldn't or didn't. I turned the camera off and on a couple of times and that was no help. I carefully removed the lens and took a peek and the shutter was indeed open. I replaced the lens and turned the camera off and on a couple more times and it finally released. I took another 40 or so pictures tonight and had no problems. Has anyone experienced this? Is this something to be concerned about? Thanks!

Kris

If it is a shutter issue it will probably happen again. What is your shutter count?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    I'm showing my knowledge level here, but how do I check the shutter count? Come to think of it, I was trying to figure that out a couple weeks ago.

Kris
    edited April 20, 2009
    mud390 wrote:
    I'm showing my knowledge level here, but how do I check the shutter count? Come to think of it, I was trying to figure that out a couple weeks ago.

Kris

For many Nikon cameras I believe that Windows users can use:

Preview Extractor, http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/
    Opanda, http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/
    IrfanView, http://www.irfanview.com/
    ziggy53
    edited April 20, 2009
    I ended up downloading Opanda. Pretty neat little program. Anyhow, just over 11,000 releases on the camera. It's been a while since the camera has been cleaned, and I know it needs it. I noticed a spot on a couple of pictures from a few days ago. Could a piece of dust possibly caused this?

Kris
    edited April 20, 2009
    mud390 wrote:
    ... I noticed a spot on a couple of pictures from a few days ago. Could a piece of dust possibly caused this?

Kris

No, that is not likely. It is more likely that lack of lubrication or a mechanical failure of the shutter mechanism would cause the shutter not to return.

I would just be aware that it might happen again and test the camera thoroughly before any important usage and use a backup camera for anything "really" important.
    ziggy53
    edited April 20, 2009
    Thank you for all the info. I plan on taking the camera and my lenses in to get them cleaned later this week. Hopefully that will help out with this issue. Thank you again!

Kris
    edited April 20, 2009
    mud390 wrote:
    Thank you for all the info. I plan on taking the camera and my lenses in to get them cleaned later this week. Hopefully that will help out with this issue. Thank you again!

Kris

If this is a Nikon repair facility be sure to mention the shutter incident. If they don't find a problem at least they document the problem from your description, which could benefit you later.
    ziggy53