Options

Captioning and Keywording

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited April 20, 2009 in Finishing School
I am not a professional but I am finding that the number of images I have stored are starting to grow and getting harder and harder to manage. I have LR2 but admittedly have ignored all the cataloging features it provides. I am now trying to learn how to utilize LR2 more effectively for cataloging my images.

My first question is how do you guys save your images on your HDD? Do you store them all in one directory and then utilize key wording and smart catalogs to find your images or do you group the images in sub-directories, i.e. by date, subject, event, etc.?

I have started my research on this topic on th Net and have located a very informative site on Captioning and Keywording. Thought I would post links here to try and help others like me.
  • Info on proper captioning of images here
  • Info on keywording guidelines here and here
Thanks in advance for your help.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    KiwiLightKiwiLight Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Re
    Howdy,

I am not a professional either and are new to LR2. When I got the program I purchased a book by Scott Kelby called 'the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 book for digital photographers.' It is an excellent book and covers the best approaches in response to your question.

Essentially Kelby recommends that you save all your photos in one master file 'My Lightroom Photos" and then use the sets, collections and keywords features to organize. You can also do the same through creating file structures in LR2 (which are replicated on your PC) but I think the sets, collection and keywords is the best and fastest approach. Kelby shows you a whole heap of shortcuts to speed up the process of sorting your photos if you have a large collection.

I know this sounds like a bit of a plug for Kelby's book, but I have found it extremely helpful in understanding the full potential of LR2 and highly recommend it. I think it is about $35 from Amazon.

Sweet!

Rich

www.richpics.co.nz
    Visit my site:

www.richpics.co.nz
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gifagreeget the Kelby book.....it will help you a lot........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website