Options

Soccer Team Photo Shoot

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited April 22, 2009 in Sports
Needs suggestions on how to go about shooting a soccer team with 18 players. I am thinking 2 rows of 9 with the 9 tallest kneeling, and the 9 shortest standing. Since I do not have a bench, that may be out of the question. What would be the best way to accomplsh this feat???

Ron A.
:dunno
Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    I find the wedding forum to be a great source for posing information.

Generally for a larger group if you can't elevate them (stairs, hill, etc.) then elevate yourself. Get a small stepladder or anything else you can do to get higher.

BTW, benches, chair, stools, etc. can be a bad idea because of falling hazards.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Try 3 rows of 6 instead - standing, kneeling, sitting
    The problem with 2 rows of 9 is your subject is way more horizontal than vertical. Which means you have a lot of empty frame in the shot (remember you want to frame so the shot can be cropped to 8x10 too).
  • Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Try 3 rows of 6 instead - standing, kneeling, sitting
    The problem with 2 rows of 9 is your subject is way more horizontal than vertical. Which means you have a lot of empty frame in the shot (remember you want to frame so the shot can be cropped to 8x10 too).

Great Idea, thanks for the inout.

Ron A.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Consider using the net as a background.

517949941_KWs4Z-O.jpg

Whether you use a net, or not(it can be a little busymwink.gif ), make sure the background is clean.

Sun at thier back, or side, so they're not squinting. Use flash for fill.

If you use John's good tip about three rows, make sure you use enough DOF to keep them all in focus.

As any legitimate sports shooter will tell you, shoot kids at their level. Which means you need to be sitting, or kneeling.

Not, on a ladder. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:

Not, on a ladder. rolleyes1.gif

Well I guess that goes to show the varying types of styles for doing pretty much the same thing.
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Depending on the gender, you may want to shoot a formal then an informal. I find with girls teams, letting them get crazy really pulls out thier personalities and sometimes they like those pictures more than the formal poses.

I shot one team down low and the families like the different perspective - just using the rule of thirds for the front line of the team.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com