Options

My VERY busy Saturday

tony.ibarratony.ibarra Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited April 28, 2009 in Sports
This past Saturday I covered The Beach Invitational Track and Field Meet, Long Beach State Softball vs. UC Santa Barbara and Long Beach State Baseball vs. Cal State Northridge.

All in all, I don't think that there's any sport harder to cover than Track, because there is absolutely no point in which there isn't something going on.

The softball game was on ESPNU, so I was fortunate enough to be able to get on the field behind the 3rd base coach's box inside the enclosure for the TV camera.

Baseball was a 2:00 start time, so a high sun let me get some good exposure and take away a few keepers.

All in all, this was my day in photos.

517192549_ncgvu-L-1.jpg

517191634_zvWpK-L-1.jpg

517173726_efHM4-L.jpg

517173840_2WPR5-L.jpg

517173882_PyJFu-L.jpg

517177060_CeMzg-L-1.jpg

517176986_4jfKV-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Tony,

I like the track images. The middle baseball images are a little soft on my monitor - how much did you crop? The first baseball and last softball image I'm not fond of because of the backs - faces are important. Sometimes a back is compelling when there is something of interest in the foreground. In both images there's not much in the foreground to pull the viewer in. They appear sharper than the other two (I'm guessing based upon proximity) but the lack of faces or an interesting subject in front of them makes them a bit weaker. Love the expression on the first jump though!
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I'm a huge fan of long jump pictures, I love the first two. Great job catching her expression in the first shot.

Stephanie
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Tony,

The middle baseball images are a little soft on my monitor - how much did you crop?

I cropped to about 2500x3500, so they're not very cropped at all. I'm not sure why they look soft. they're crisp on my 30".
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I cropped to about 2500x3500, so they're not very cropped at all. I'm not sure why they look soft. they're crisp on my 30".

Could be the smugmug resize. THey often don't look a sharp as originals do.
  • Options
    attorneyjayattorneyjay Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    I like the track pics. Baseball/softball seem slightly overexposed; highlights nearly blown out from my perspective.

Jay
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    I like the track pics. Baseball/softball seem slightly overexposed; highlights nearly blown out from my perspective.

Jay

With baseball, I find the need to over-expose by 1/3 of a stop some times, simply because there's a shadow cast across players' faces by their hats/helmets and the result is a background that's slightly blown out. It's not as bad on my 2 calibrated monitors as it seems like it is on yours, but I'm sure if I spent a few more minutes in Aperture tinkering with it, I could pull back the slider some. As it is, these images are straight from the camera, no PP except cropping.