Options

Irfanview replacement for MAC

David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
edited April 24, 2009 in Finishing School
Recently got a Mac and looking for an image compression utility for MAC like irfanview. I will pay some, don't like elements on Windows is why I used irfanview (for compression). I don't mind paying some just need to take the pics down to 85 or 90 % for uploading. Any of you folks out there have any ideas?? Have you used Picasa for the Mac to do this??

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Recently got a Mac and looking for an image compression utility for MAC like irfanview. I will pay some, don't like elements on Windows is why I used irfanview (for compression). I don't mind paying some just need to take the pics down to 85 or 90 % for uploading. Any of you folks out there have any ideas?? Have you used Picasa for the Mac to do this??

I dunno what Irfanview does, but iPhoto doesn't hack it?

Any of these do it for ya? ear.gif

EDIT: Or, you could do this.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I dunno what Irfanview does, but iPhoto doesn't hack it?

Any of these do it for ya? ear.gif

EDIT: Or, you could do this.

Thanks, I use Irfanview to batch compress my jpegs to upload to Smug Mug. Use it after I have done all my editing.. Any one use Imagewell on a MAC for this??
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited April 21, 2009
    Will Preview work for you?

It comes stock on your Mac, and offers different file sizing abilities.

Not sure how it will work with stacks of images.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    scipio1stscipio1st Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2009
    If you have photoshop and Bridge then why not use that to batch compress for web?
  • Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Take a look at GraphicConverter and ImageWell. Can be found at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    scipio1st wrote:
    If you have photoshop and Bridge then why not use that to batch compress for web?

Don't have Photoshop or Bridge for the MAC yet.. Working on it..Just want something simple for right now..
  • Options
    polyyapolyya Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    With the preview tool, pathfinder talked some posts above click on save as and save it on the desktop 4 example it appears a dialog that allows you to save it on different sizes. See the samples below. Hope this could help you buddy

imagen1m.jpg

imagen2rlg.jpg

imagen3n.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited April 22, 2009
    Gracias, Pablo!clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    rhjfrhjf Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Alternatively, you could use Automator to work on a batch of photos. This might be a good place to get you started (with an example workflow).
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    rhjf wrote:
    Alternatively, you could use Automator to work on a batch of photos. This might be a good place to get you started (with an example workflow).

Automator will be something I can work on.. Thanks so much for the incredible suggestions. I did find something that works for me and does a great job. Picasa has an export function when you have adjusted your photos and will compress them to what you need when you export ONLY if you have made a change to the photo. I searched a ton on the export for Picasa and saw post after post saying it did nothing. Tonight I was working on some stuff and noticed the files that where changed exported at 85 compression. I am hooked up!! Got some really great ideas to tuck in the back of my head. That is why Dgrin is the best..
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    iPhoto does that, too, and it's already there.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops