Sigma DP2?

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited April 21, 2009 in Cameras
I didn't find a thread on it with a search, and its not out yet, but anyone else eyeing the DP2 that might be out next month?

I'm back in the US now, and its not working out carrying around my DSLR, so I carry my Olympus 1030 SW, but I hate it. Not enough manual controls, don't like the UI it comes with, and of course, it only shoots in JPG. I never quite realized how much I enjoy working with raw until I start editing a mixed batch of RAW and JPG files in lightroom and wonder why some photo just won't repsond to LR's controls. (DUH!) Was eyeing the G10 but for all that money, you still get a small sensor.

I've heard the DP1 had major UI flaws that kept from being a great camera (sure, you love your DP1 though), but previews say the DP2 has got a much improved UI I think.

Anyway, it looks cool. A bit pricy though.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 21, 2009
    Best information, so far, is on the Sigma site:

http://sigma-dp.com/DP2/main.html

I have thought of the Sigma imagers as specialty imagers, not necessarily preferable for general photography.

The DP2 is probably going to yield images with effective resolution somewhat similar to a 8 or 10MP (Bayer) imager. While the color purity is greatly enhanced, the high ISO performance is lacking. The dynamic range is also at question and was not that exemplary on the DP1. Coupled with a fixed lens it makes cameras like the DP1/DP2 somewhat limited compared to a dSLR.

Things like user interface are secondary considerations to photography and I doubt that changing the UI alone will attract that many shooters.

While the Sigma dSLR cameras have a following based on the color purity properties, strapping a fixed lens to the imager is not necessarily a recipe for success.

I am curious as to why using your dSLR is not working out?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Well, in China, I was almost always on foot or using public transportation like the metro. Here, i'm on a motorcycle a lot of the time. So I'd like something that small enough to fit into my pocket so I can whip it out when I just want a quick shot. I'm using the Olympus 1030, but it just doesn't send me when I use it or view the shots afterward, especially in low light situations.

Its a lot of money, especially considering the drawbacks you mention. I'm still waiting to see the dpreview that will hopefully come out soon.

ziggy53 wrote:
    Best information, so far, is on the Sigma site:

http://sigma-dp.com/DP2/main.html

I have thought of the Sigma imagers as specialty imagers, not necessarily preferable for general photography.

The DP2 is probably going to yield images with effective resolution somewhat similar to a 8 or 10MP (Bayer) imager. While the color purity is greatly enhanced, the high ISO performance is lacking. The dynamic range is also at question and was not that exemplary on the DP1. Coupled with a fixed lens it makes cameras like the DP1/DP2 somewhat limited compared to a dSLR.

Things like user interface are secondary considerations to photography and I doubt that changing the UI alone will attract that many shooters.

While the Sigma dSLR cameras have a following based on the color purity properties, strapping a fixed lens to the imager is not necessarily a recipe for success.

I am curious as to why using your dSLR is not working out?
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    What focal length are you after? Because a E420 with the 25mm pancake (50mm normal lens equiv.) will fit just fine in a good size jacket pocket
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 21, 2009
    Well, in China, I was almost always on foot or using public transportation like the metro. Here, i'm on a motorcycle a lot of the time. So I'd like something that small enough to fit into my pocket so I can whip it out when I just want a quick shot. I'm using the Olympus 1030, but it just doesn't send me when I use it or view the shots afterward, especially in low light situations.

Its a lot of money, especially considering the drawbacks you mention. I'm still waiting to see the dpreview that will hopefully come out soon.

I suggest a 2 system approach. Use a P&S camera for the snapshots and simple documentary images and use the dSLR for when you can afford to spend some extra time and attention to the images.

I really enjoy the FujiFilm "F" series P&S cameras and I chose an F30 for myself and the F40fd for my son and my ladyfriend. For quick snaps they are hard to beat. They are only capable of JPG files but the resulting JPGs are much more adjustable than those from most other P&S cameras.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 21, 2009
    Oddly enough, I tend to use a 35mm lense on my DSLR, so roughly a 50 mm lens. The other lense I tend to use the most is my 10-20 mm lens.
    edited April 21, 2009
    Well, we'll see when it comes out. I just got an IR conversion filter for my D70, so that should be fun. hehe:D

You know, I'd love the see the "G11" come out with a bigger sensor. G10 looks really cool and I'd get it, but I don't think I'd be happy once I put the pictures on my computer.