Close Up's & macro help.

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited April 21, 2009 in Holy Macro
I have the canon 70-200 4.0L USM Lens "no IS"

And I can't seem to get very close to any subject at all all, I was trying a shot with my Ipod in it's Doc, I had it in manual and I couldn't get it to focus at all, No matter what I tried and I was in TV mode.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    I have the canon 70-200 4.0L USM Lens "no IS"

And I can't seem to get very close to any subject at all all, I was trying a shot with my Ipod in it's Doc, I had it in manual and I couldn't get it to focus at all, No matter what I tried and I was in TV mode.
    The closest focusing distance of that lens is about 4 feet so it's not suprising. You'd get a lot closer with the kit lens.
    Get a set of extension tunes (eg Kenko) and you would be able to focus a lot closer (around 1:1 magnification with all the ext tubes and the lens set at 70mm).
    Brian V.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Not all lenses can do close-up or macro work, as Lord V pointed out above. You can buy specialty lenses, or you can also use extension tubes to allow a 'regular' lens the ability to focus closer.

These are the types of tubes talked about:
    http://www.adorama.com/KNAETSDEOS.html?searchinfo=canon+kenko+tubes
    //Leah
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    The closest focusing distance of that lens is about 4 feet so it's not suprising. You'd get a lot closer with the kit lens.
    Get a set of extension tunes (eg Kenko) and you would be able to focus a lot closer (around 1:1 magnification with all the ext tubes and the lens set at 70mm).
    Brian V.
    Thank you Lord, I will look at some Kenko tubes.

If I do buy the tubes and depending on the tubes? How much closer can I get?

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Here's a similar thread:http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=95967

The distance you can shoot at depends on your lens mm and how many mm of tubes you use.

Here's how close I got with my 70-200 + full set of Kenko tubes

299908650_m64F6-M.jpg

This is the photo I was taking in that shot:
    299908456_76D9U-L-1.jpg
    ~ Lisa