Options

image looks great on computer but OK as a print

lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited April 22, 2009 in Finishing School
http://lisarhinehart.smugmug.com/photos/495636794_bJy6r-L.jpg

This photo looks much better on the computer than it does printed out. It almost needs to be in a light box or something. This similar shot (see below) looks just as well printed out as it does on the screen. Is there something I should be doing to the one above to make it more printer-friendly? Is there too much white? Thanks! --Lisa PS: I clickes share and pasted the copied link-- don't know why it isn't showing(?)

http://lisarhinehart.smugmug.com/photos/466067467_6cQQp-L.jpg
Lisa
My Website

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    There are a lot of variables here. What kind of printer? What kind of monitor? How calibrated? What software are you using to view on your monitor?

Without knowing any of this, it's hard to help; probably that's why you haven't gotten a reply. In general, flower pictures can push the gamut of printers (ability of the device, ink, and paper to match the colors.) Your monitor can reproduce colors your printer cannot and many images will look better on a monitor than in print. Making flower pictures print well in spite of this is kind of a black art of trying to fool the eye into by making all the colors duller.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I get prints from smug mug-- neither of their printers has produced good results. It doesn't seem to matter what monitor the pic is viewed from, it gets high ratings in both the macro and flower forum with many people from many computers.

You said that it's an "art of trying to fool the eye into by making all the colors duller" How would this be adjusted? --Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website