A Seasonal Journey: the Little Things

lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited April 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This is my first image sharing ever on d grin, so here goes... Most of these were taken on my point and shoot, so you'll have to bear with the quality-- I tried to pick good ones, though :wink Lisa
In the summer heat:
A wasp waits with his precious water droplet, ready to share it with his parched colony
492384395_Q3FTh-M.jpg
Butterflies drank from divits in the sand
466065150_P7rTg-M.jpg
On a crisp fall afternoon:
This leaf lay on the ground a dull brown, but when i picked it up and held it to the sun-- lava!
466070266_aCyuY-M.jpg
I noticed these leaves laying at the bottom of the pond, in deliciously saturated browns
467880947_SdRpq-M.jpg
In the cool of a spring evening:
An ant tastes sweet peony nectar (helping the flower to open, or so Grandma says)
492384073_N82tQ-M.jpg
A thankful butterfly is moved to safety
466067654_uZnFS-M.jpg
In the bitter cold of winter
Tiny geometric ice crystals decorated the blacktop of my parking space
466077020_9AAKW-M.jpg
Rose leaves were frozen by the ice storm
467822982_e2sNi-M.jpg
Lisa
My Website

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Congrats on your first picture post. clap.gif

Some nice captures on the set but they're not wildlife but they are cool so I;m going to move your post to the Other Cool Shots Forum.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Lisa, not all of us can afford those dream cameras. Point and shoots can get some great photo's, they just have limitations to them. The one that bothers me the most is not having the distance I want. I can zoom out only so far before I lose any sort of quailty.
    You have a nice set of pictures here and a good eye to catch some of them, like the leaves in the water.
    "The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas - Comment in workshop, 1985
  • lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    ne_nau.gif Where does it say wildlife? I thought it just said "journeys"
    Lisa
    My Website
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    ne_nau.gif Where does it say wildlife? I thought it just said "journeys"
    It originally was posted in the wildlife forum. Harry moved it here for you since it was more of a cool shots photo than wildlife.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    This is my first image sharing ever on d grin, so here goes... Most of these were taken on my point and shoot, so you'll have to bear with the quality-- I tried to pick good ones, though mwink.gif Lisa
    In the summer heat:
    A wasp waits with his precious water droplet, ready to share it with his parched colony

Butterflies drank from divits in the sand

On a crisp fall afternoon:
    This leaf lay on the ground a dull brown, but when i picked it up and held it to the sun-- lava!

I noticed these leaves laying at the bottom of the pond, in deliciously saturated browns

In the cool of a spring evening:
    An ant tastes sweet peony nectar (helping the flower to open, or so Grandma says)

A thankful butterfly is moved to safety

In the bitter cold of winter
    Tiny geometric ice crystals decorated the blacktop of my parking space

Rose leaves were frozen by the ice storm

Hi Lisa, and welcome aboard the Dgrin Forum clap.gif
    Thats quite an assortment your sharing with us.

How pretty are those butterflies, boy I wish we had such pretty one's where I live..... I dunno about you, but I get a real buzz out of saving bugs.

I love your ice shots, in particular the one from your packing space.

Thank you for sharing your work, I hope you will take the time to visit other sections of the forum, and may you enjoy all that you find here.

Happy Shooting thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin. You have a very good eye. If this series is any indication we can expect to see lots of fine images from you. #5 is my favourite. The colors are perfect, great composition and wonderful background (bokeh). Keep up the good work and keep on posting. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited April 23, 2009
    Thanks!
    Thanks for your encouragement and feedback. mwink.gif

I am so thrilled that people are actually checking this out and writing to me. Very fun! I wasn't really sure how all of this would work.

For more check out my gallery at www.lisarhinehartphotography.com I love seeing people's favorites. Two that are in my top 12 right now i almost didn't put on the site b/c I didn't think they were good. eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

--Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Welcome! As has been said, we're looking forward to more of your work. You do have a good eye for composition, and I enjoyed the story telling in your captions. Please post more!

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    you have a great eye..and these are good. These are much more impressive knowing the come from a point and shoot. Looking forwrd to seeing what you can do with your new DSLR!thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited April 29, 2009
    more of my seasonal images
    Thanks for your welcome and kind feedback. I'll post a few more. This time I included the camera in the post.

9. Winter: Icicles hanging from the roof rack of my car
    466061779_fz9aR-L.jpg

10. Late Winter: Droplets on the lid of my little greenhouse, a sign that spring life is just around the corner (canon powershot)
    466069589_SGtqE-L.jpg

11. Spring: I photographed this black swan at the game preserve and love the green reflection caused by the new spring leaves (canon powershot)
    467881344_M75Sy-L.jpg

12. Spring: Frog on the edge of my pond. When we bought this house we were told to always clean out the mud at the bottom before winter, with no explanation as to why. We didn't get around to it last year and were tickled to see two large frogs in our pond this year. We learned that frogs need mud to winterize, and were pleased by our lack of effort. Then our fish started disappearing-- big fish. Apparently frogs mouths are big for a reason. Now we are trying to catch them. (Canon Rebel)
    520910440_8hUPH-L.jpg

13. Summer: A view of my fishpond last summer (powershot)
    467880807_RWhQv-L-2.jpg

14. Summer: Sunflowers in my backyard. This was taken before my neighbor demolished his barn. Now I have a lovely view of a metal car port. (Fugi Fine Pix)
    466069847_HZ8D6-L.jpg

15. Fall: My little brother's rugby scrum (Canon powershot)
    466069881_HJbDJ-L.jpg

16. Fall: leaves in my parking space (Canon powershot)
    467881018_yWJ2f-L-1.jpg

As far as my DSLR-- yes it's new. A few shots from my previous post were taken with it (Ice leaves, sand butterflies), but most weren't. I have only really used that as a point and shoot as well (auto modes). I'm trying to use AV and focus points, as I have no technical knowlege and the result is mostly AWEFUL pictures, the frog is the best I've taken on AV-- I love the detail, but the dandilion is too bright. I've ordered a book so that I can learn some things, though I'm not at all tech-y. I hope I'm up to it. If not I've just made some very bad investments. I'm thinking I'll get worse before I get better, and crusing through on instinct can only get you so far.

Thanks for visiting. Please check out my site and rate your favorites. --Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website