Options

mm vs. degrees

nxthreenxthree Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
edited April 21, 2009 in The Big Picture
So this has really been bothering me lately. Other than a marketing ploy to get you to think you have something great, why are lenses measured in focal length (mm) instead of their angle of view(degrees)?:scratch

e.g.: A Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM has a 102.4 degree angle of view... while the new Nikon 10-24 ED AF-S DX has a 109 degree angle of view. Both lenses are 10mm on the wide end, but have a very large difference in their angle of view.

So if the angle of view is a better measurement, why not use it?:dunno

Just a rant.

Thanks!

Brian

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    nxthree wrote:
    So this has really been bothering me lately. Other than a marketing ploy to get you to think you have something great, why are lenses measured in focal length (mm) instead of their angle of view(degrees)?headscratch.gif

e.g.: A Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM has a 102.4 degree angle of view... while the new Nikon 10-24 ED AF-S DX has a 109 degree angle of view. Both lenses are 10mm on the wide end, but have a very large difference in their angle of view.

So if the angle of view is a better measurement, why not use it?ne_nau.gif
    Whether angle of view is a "better" measurement depends entirely upon who you are speaking to. The optical engineer thinks in terms of focal length. Also the focal length of a lens does not change based on the size of sensor or film the image is projected onto. In that respect its a constant. Imagine Canon trying to market their 200mm/2.8L lens for example. Do they advertise the field of view based on their full-frame 1Ds and 5D line? Based on their 1.3 crop factor 1D line? On the 1.6 crop factor x0D series? On the other hand that lens is ALWAYS a 200mm focal length lens, no matter which camera it is attached to.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    nxthreenxthree Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Good point... I guess it matters more for the wider-angle lenses. It was mainly the two completely different 10mm crop lenses that caught my eye, because of the extreme variance in the angles of view. I guess it's a buyer beware type thing. If you're going wide, check the angle of view against other lenses before purchasing.
    mercphoto wrote:
    Whether angle of view is a "better" measurement depends entirely upon who you are speaking to. The optical engineer thinks in terms of focal length. Also the focal length of a lens does not change based on the size of sensor or film the image is projected onto. In that respect its a constant. Imagine Canon trying to market their 200mm/2.8L lens for example. Do they advertise the field of view based on their full-frame 1Ds and 5D line? Based on their 1.3 crop factor 1D line? On the 1.6 crop factor x0D series? On the other hand that lens is ALWAYS a 200mm focal length lens, no matter which camera it is attached to.