Jump little froggy!

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited April 25, 2009 in Holy Macro
I had the opportunity to go the the Utah Museum of Natural History with the Photowalking Utah group last weekend. The museum was kind enough to let us use our tripods for the event. Without the tripod I could not have gotten these shots. There was a poison dart frog exhibit that was a challenge in lots of ways.
#1 The frogs move
#2 shooting through glass
#3 Very low light and no flash allowed.

So the best results were very low shutter speeds. The colors just were deeper and the low light was not a factor. The frogs seemed to stay still long enough. Most of these were 1 second or less. But the last one in the series 2 seconds. I had a few that were up to 4 seconds. They just were not as interesting looking.

Here is what I got. No PP at all not even cropping.

517260950_Vb7tb-XL.jpg

517255386_N7eZY-XL.jpg

517264614_zT44Q-XL.jpg

517257974_aQsLM-XL.jpg

517268945_TWKQk-XL.jpg

Comments

• DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    sooo BLUE....

Nice frogs.

The last one looks like he just lost his best friend to a car. Looks like he's getting ready to cry / pout.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    LOvely series- esp like the first shot
    Brian v.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    LOvely series- esp like the first shot
    Brian v.

#1 is the frog glamour shot! I shot that in RAW so, I might play with the light and color on him a bit.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    I love the 1st, 2nd and 4th iloveyou.gif It was really cool that the museum allowed you to bring in your tripod.

The 4th reminds me of a study one of my students did for her masters thesis where she was looking at the behaviors associated with drinking in dehydrated frogs (did you know that frogs "drink" by absorbing water across their skin - notice how pinkish and wrinkly the skin by the thighs of the tree frog in #4; that's b/c of the high blood flow to that region to facilitate water uptake). Ok, enough of your biology lesson for today and back to photography. mwink.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Great series. I find the last one both compositionally superior and just plain interesting.
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

• ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    amg2833 wrote:
    Great series. I find the last one both compositionally superior and just plain interesting.

The last one just had this odd color. He was so flat green grey. So it was cool to capture the color the way it really looked.