Mission Concepcion San Antonio, Texas

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited April 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
*** Edited to add pics #2 & #3 ***

I took a trip down to San Antonio a while back and shot the Alamo and the missions on the mission road. This is Mission Concepcion. I have several shots of each mission, but honestly, this was the first shot, and the first one I processed. I'll post more as I process them.

If you get a chance to shoot the missions in San Antonio, TX - I hope that I can find my missions map that I marked as to the direction the missions face, therefore what would be the best times to catch the good light for each of them. If I find that map, I'll post it up.

Side note: There are only two small spots on this image that CS2 eyedropper/info registers (0). Neither could I find anyplace that registered (255).

As always, C&C welcome

1)
517881756_RUDP5-L.jpg

2)
518300685_bwjtz-L.jpg

3)
518306024_gMNSn-L.jpg
Randy

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    That is really well done Randy.......thumb.gif azzaro
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    That is really well done Randy.......thumb.gif azzaro

Thank you Mr. Azzaro
    Randy
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I took a trip down to San Antonio a while back and shot the Alamo and the missions on the mission road. This is Mission Concepcion. I have several shots of each mission, but honestly, this was the first shot, and the first one I processed. I'll post more as I process them.

If you get a chance to shoot the missions in San Antonio, TX - I hope that I can find my missions map that I marked as to the direction the missions face, therefore what would be the best times to catch the good light for each of them. If I find that map, I'll post it up.

Side note: There are only two small spots on this image that CS2 eyedropper/info registers (0). Neither could I find anyplace that registered (255).

As always, C&C welcome

Randy I love this shot, it has that element of mystery about it.
    Your very fortunate that you have access to these old dwellings to photograph .... beautifully done clap.gifclap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited April 21, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Randy I love this shot, it has that element of mystery about it.
    Your very fortunate that you have access to these old dwellings to photograph .... beautifully done clap.gifclap.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy,

Yes, Texas does have lot's of diversity to capture. Access; that's a relative term. If you drive across Texas (top to bottom), you've just gone 1/3 the distance across the entire USA. rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I like it! thumb.gif

..athough the more I look at it, the chopped tree on the left kinda bugs me a bit. Not sure if I would crop tighter to remove or have shot wider to include. I am thinking wider as I love that sky, but that might just be me.

Curious to see what others think.
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I agree on the tree on the left, but I didn’t even see it until it was mentioned.

Great shot and as mentioned the mystery of it is really cool.
    edited April 21, 2009
    jww wrote:
    I like it! thumb.gif

..athough the more I look at it, the chopped tree on the left kinda bugs me a bit. Not sure if I would crop tighter to remove or have shot wider to include. I am thinking wider as I love that sky, but that might just be me.

Curious to see what others think.

Construction cones and temp fencing to the left of the mission, so wider was out.

Cropping the tree out would have cut to the wall. I don't think I'd like that, but you may be right.

That's the great thing about posting and asking for C&C.

I've got plenty more pictures of this mission. I literally worked-up the very first picture in the folder, this is it. It probably is not the best pic I have of the mission (don't know, I haven't looked at any more of them yet), but I did like it enough to post it.

Thanks for posting your comments thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited April 21, 2009
    Roadkill wrote:
    I agree on the tree on the left, but I didn’t even see it until it was mentioned.

Great shot and as mentioned the mystery of it is really cool.

Thanks for the feedback Roadkill.
    Randy
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Spectacular shot and processing Randy! FWIW, the tree on the left doesn't bother me in the least. I guess it all depends on the viewer. :D
    edited April 22, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Spectacular shot and processing Randy! FWIW, the tree on the left doesn't bother me in the least. I guess it all depends on the viewer. :D

Thanks Travis, I appreciate you looking and commenting. Personally, the tree doesn't bother me either. But, I appreciate knowing what does bother people about my pics.
    Randy
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Morning Randy,

WOW, great shots, really like the perspectives and point of view.

Great processing, like Skippy said, really adds mystery to them.

Very nicely done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited April 22, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Morning Randy,

WOW, great shots, really like the perspectives and point of view.

Great processing, like Skippy said, really adds mystery to them.

Very nicely done.

Thanks Craig,

Always a pleasure hearing from you. I'll post up some more of these as I get them processed. I hope nobody minds.
    Randy
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Nice looking shots. Lots of texture.
    Is it me, or do I see some HDR?
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Glad to finally see these, Randy! Looks like you had some decent clouds for a bit anyway. I really like your B&W treatment, especially since these three are nearly identical to the perspectives in my shots from Concepcion! It's nice to see them from a different viewpoint.

Skippy: Randy is right about "access" being a relative term in Texas. :D Actually, for me, these are in the neighborhood--just about 20 minutes down the road. I ought to be shooting there more often, eh?

Anyone who comes to San Antonio, feel free to give me a shout!

OK, Randy, what's up next? Did you do any interiors? None of mine worked out at all so I am anxious to see what you came up with. What time did you end up shooting? As you know, I shot at noon in very harsh light so I'm curious when you think the best time to be there is.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • gnoojgnooj Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Excellent work. Your second image is my personal favorite. Each of the three images stand on their own. clap.gif
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Love the second one, awesome framing on the last one!
    edited April 23, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Nice looking shots. Lots of texture.
    Is it me, or do I see some HDR?

Layers, curves, etc...
    Randy
    edited April 23, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Glad to finally see these, Randy! Looks like you had some decent clouds for a bit anyway. I really like your B&W treatment, especially since these three are nearly identical to the perspectives in my shots from Concepcion! It's nice to see them from a different viewpoint.

Skippy: Randy is right about "access" being a relative term in Texas. :D Actually, for me, these are in the neighborhood--just about 20 minutes down the road. I ought to be shooting there more often, eh?

Anyone who comes to San Antonio, feel free to give me a shout!

OK, Randy, what's up next? Did you do any interiors? None of mine worked out at all so I am anxious to see what you came up with. What time did you end up shooting? As you know, I shot at noon in very harsh light so I'm curious when you think the best time to be there is.

Cheers,
    Lauren

Hey Lauren,

I'm on the road right now. The 3 pics that I posted up here were the first three in the folder. I have a lot to process, not just from this mission, but the others too.

I'd have to look at the exif on these, but I think these were shot about 2~3pm. Not exactly what I would normally want, light wise, but I made due. I did wind-up back here for the evening light. I thought that I was going to get zipo, but the light came burning through the clouds for literally 2 minutes. I grabbed some shots, and I hope they turned out.

And yes, I do have interior shots. I'll keep adding to this thread as I process them.
    Randy
    edited April 23, 2009
    gnooj wrote:
    Excellent work. Your second image is my personal favorite. Each of the three images stand on their own. clap.gif

Thank you for the kind words.
    Randy
    edited April 23, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Love the second one, awesome framing on the last one!

Thanks for the comments. Glad you liked them.
    Randy