Senior Portrait Session (C & C Please)

imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited April 26, 2009 in People
1st--I've taken the "dive" and gotten a SmugMug account... I've smuggled my shots and I think I've gotten them in this thread correctly. However, if I haven't, PLEASE feel free to let me know.

2nd--These are from a senior session I did last week and I'm looking for post-processing c&c as much as photography c&c...

516667333_TzcBN-M.jpg

517174251_AUASf-M.jpg

517187468_PbKJL-M.jpg

517224632_a7njL-M.jpg

This is my "Grace of God" shot---Her name begins with the letter "K" and the train cars were starting fly by!!!
517264542_2BV4p-M.jpg

This is my favorite---the train had picked up speed and the "wind" in her hair is truly from the train!
517275135_hzjaK-M.jpg

517285549_ufgcu-M.jpg

517332454_ixLJK-M.jpg

517592435_2o4tZ-M.jpg

517597688_GnoEr-M.jpg

517601347_85rUG-M.jpg

517314416_8K3Rt-M.jpg

517183727_uRbPi-M.jpg

She's a dancer and wanted a "unique" way to incorporate that aspect of her life...
517218093_HxNis-M.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Blessings,
Marjohn

Images of Him Photography

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I can't see them. Maybe you don't have links enabled?
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I can see them, and I like them a lot. They are very fresh and natural looking. I'm finding that seniors want that these days. I think it's because they enjoying photographing each other that way. #13 is beautiful!clap.gif

Be careful not to chop fingers and hands. I think the vignetting is a little stong in some, but that's just my personal opinion.

You did great. Thanks for sharing!
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    6, 9, 10, & 11 .....wooooohooooo!

14 WOULD have been great for me.....but the window BG totally detracts from this...only my personal opinion, however. Love the pose....but the window....that DARN window. :cry
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I can see them now:) Nice variety. I really like them, but think the vignette is a little heavy. She seems pretty natural in front of the camera. The dancer in her helps with posing.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    #2 is super nice posing. If the bench were straight, and the vignette a little less heavy handed it would be great....but it appears there isnt enough room by her foot to rotate the crop. Very nice pose though.

#9 is my favorite. If the softening was done in post, you might want to reduce the effect a bit around her eyes. Very nice....earthy.thumb.gif

#11 also is excellent.......but Im wondering how that would have played out in the blue outfit!

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to Dgrin!
  • austinstrobistaustinstrobist Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I agree on the heavy vignetting and I think toning them down will bring out the images.

I really like #10!
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I agree about the vignette as well. I like to use that but try to be very subtle about it. In #9, her skin looks off, like under her eyes look a tad pinkish. Maybe I'm seeing something others are not.

That said, this is an awesome set of photographs. I love the posing, the location and color. thumb.gif
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Love the series but have to agree with others on the vignetting. Seems to distract from the setting as well as the beautiful girl.

I have to agree about #6 being a favorite. Wind in her hair, the motion caught from the speeding train makes for a great shot. #13 is a favorite as well.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Wow! Thanks to all for the wonderful insight! Here are a few with the vignetting removed or toned down... please let me know your thoughts again.

517171206_ZbHLG-M.jpg

517193151_QZhQt-M.jpg

517261085_vrTD5-M.jpg

517273188_g32ML-M.jpg

517329723_9WLXo-M.jpg

517597111_v9FUU-M.jpg

517600735_4oKzw-M.jpg

Idlewild---As for #14, I'm going to try to get rid of the window... I'll let you know if I'm able to do it nicely and post results when I get them finished.

Thanks again to all and I look forward to absorbing as much information as possible!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 22, 2009
    6 and 10 are my favouites, 6 looks really good, the train seemed to have made the perfect wind there.
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    I like #13 as well, however, the wrinkling of her hand is distracting to me. I think posing with the hand higher on the tree would have eliminated that. I would salvage the image by just making it a head shot. I think it could stand on it's own that way.
    edited April 25, 2009
    Hey Tango!

Thanks... that was bothering me about the shot, too... but I NEVER think about cropping... So, I cropped it and wanted to know if it worked better now?????

520798796_GC5us-M.jpg
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    This is a really great series! And I find this thread refreshing, as you've been receptive to suggestions. :ivar

I really, REALLY like #6, #11, and #14!! thumb.gif

I think #3 has a slight slant to the right, and I'd personally prefer the bottom to cropped a bit to bring you subject down to the lower third - just my opinion though.

I liked Tango's suggestion, and the resulting crop looks very nice.

Again - beautiful shots - lots of creativity here.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited April 26, 2009
    I think it's better, but can you crop a little lower? Remove some of the negative space above her head. Come all the way down to just above her fingertips if you can to try to get her head out of the center of the frame. I'm by no means a pro though, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. There are others on this forum much more qualified than I am.
    edited April 26, 2009
    Okay...

I've cropped it to just above her finger, but in order to get her out of the center, I had to crop in the other direction... better? worse? scrap it and try harder next time???????

Thanks again for the input. I love to learn!

521302522_mgJP7-M.jpg
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

edited April 26, 2009
    Actually, I really like it thumb.gif . She has captivating eyes and you've captured them in crisp focus. Perhaps a "head in the center" would work equally as well.