Options

Amazing Sports Photo

gatordoc97gatordoc97 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited May 8, 2009 in Sports
http://scottharrisphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/7740376_PdHBC#478102004_m6pip

HS softball, Enterprise Alabama. Amazingly, the fielder caught the ball. No one knew what had happened to her until I saw the photo about a minute later.

Warning: photo shows a graphic sports injury, so if you have a weak stomach you shouldn't look. Sorry I forgot to warn you sooner.

Comments

• Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    WOW!! I don't know what else to say.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Personally for me this is disturbing - hate seeing things like that happen.
    As a photo - nice journalism shot.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    WOW!! I don't know what else to say.

Besides WOW? I can think of another word... OUCH!!! :jawdrop

That shot was painful to look at... that said, it was nicely done...
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
  • Options
    ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    it took me a few seconds to see it, now i wish i didn't.
    ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    A warning would have been nice.

I thought I was going to really see something "AMAZING", but got ill feeling instead.
  • Options
    madiggmadigg Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Wicked! Makes me sick...
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Great capture of a terrible moment.

Her recovery is in my prayers.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DarkhorseDarkhorse Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2009
    Amazing- no.

I mainly shoot equestrian sports and if the horse or rider don't leave the grounds under their own power the pics never see the light of day ever again. Just what I feel is right. If it was a PJ shoot then by all means.
  • Options
    leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Wow, indredible shot. I started shooting horse events again and this year I have seen a couple of spills already. In both instances the rider and horse were fine and walked out on their own. One rider even asked if I got the shot, but I didn't as they fell just before the point where I shoot. I agree with Darkhorse's philosophy though.
  • Options
    shphotosshphotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I asked my softball playing daughters if they would want this photo shared, if they had been the injured player. I was surprised that one said, "No." The other one said, "Yeah, it's totally cool!" It is an amazing photo, in my opinion. The timing was perfect. Usually, I want photographers to put their photo right in their message, but I think the link worked better here, especially with the caution added. I hope the player is doing well. She has a great story to tell, and a great photo to go with it.
  • Options
    gatordoc97gatordoc97 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    shphotos wrote:
    I asked my softball playing daughters if they would want this photo shared, if they had been the injured player. I was surprised that one said, "No." The other one said, "Yeah, it's totally cool!" It is an amazing photo, in my opinion. The timing was perfect. Usually, I want photographers to put their photo right in their message, but I think the link worked better here, especially with the caution added. I hope the player is doing well. She has a great story to tell, and a great photo to go with it.

The girl's mother has emailed me concerning her rehab and has told me that she was really excited about the photo. So, I had an 11x14 printed for her and it is hanging in her bedroom. It was even featured in her hometown online newspaper. When I first saw the photo, I was very apprehensive about posting it online, but her attitude about it convinced me otherwise.
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Darkhorse wrote:
    Amazing- no.

Wrrrooonnnnnnnnnnngggggggg.

It had to be amazing. You joined 18 months ago, and that shot provoked your first post. :D

Not to sound too cold, I know the situation, when that happens to a horse.
    The girl's mother has emailed me concerning her rehab and has told me that she was really excited about the photo. So, I had an 11x14 printed for her and it is hanging in her bedroom. It was even featured in her hometown online newspaper. When I first saw the photo, I was very apprehensive about posting it online, but her attitude about it convinced me otherwise.<!-- / message -->

Well done.

:D
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Amazing picture because of the emotions it produces. i thought it was pretty incredible when I first saw it.

Looking again I realize now how critical we generally are of photos, especially the mundane. Without the leg break it would be a rather mundane picture, imo.

Being critical and a quick glance shows some issues wit the photograph on a compositional side of things. Things like a crooked fence line, bright yellow topper on the fence being distracting green dumpster in the background. Also no eyes. Four people and no eyes.

Of course non of that really takes away from an extraordinary scene caught by camera such as this.

But it begs to question.

If you capture an exceptional scene, do the details of the rest of the picture still matter?
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    bright yellow topper on the fence being distracting green dumpster in the background.

To me that is just being overly critical of the shot. I'm sure that if he could have put himself in a better position to avoid capturing the green dumpster he probably would have. There has been a lot of discussion in the past about saftey and limitations of shooting stick and ball games as I'm sure this is the case. As far as the yellow topper, it's just part of the field and is representing a true to life situation of it being present. I would have thought it would have been a little weird if it wasn't there personally. JMO
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I still think is a great shot.

Just wondering if the criteria of a great shot changes with subject matter, that's all.

I think when we see a shot like this we tend to start looking at the shot more like a parent, i.e. non-photographer, would look at our shots. Paying far more attention to the subject matter and far less attention on the little nits that we can find in any photo, if you look hard enough.
  • Options
    clcoroniosclcoronios Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I, too, am an equine photographer (and videographer). I agree with the others that this might better have been shown to the young lady, the coach and the doctor - and left at that.

Carol
    Carol Lynn Coronios
    As You Like It Productions
    Equine photography in the northeast
    Chatham, NY
  • Options
    JackWJackW Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    This does bring up a good topic of discussion, whether to post injury related shots or not. I can argue both sides, one it is personal and should not be shared, other side is, it is part of the game or event.
    Canon 50D, 70-200 f2.8 non IS

http://www.jackwilkins.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    It's part of the game and should be treated no different than any other photo(s).

How many times did they show Joe Theisman's leg break?

Gene
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    I would like to thank you again for sharing this shot.
    Today, especially with sports, teenages believe more than ever they are invincible. Sometimes viewing a situation like this will put a small thought in the back of their minds, and even if they never admit it, they just might be a little more aware of what can happen in the click of a shutter.

Still praying for her complete recovery.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com