Options

First Attempt at MX

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited April 23, 2009 in Sports
Had some fun this past Saturday as I was invited up to a motocross training session by BCSphotoguy. Here are some sample photos I've gotten processed.

#1.
518071397_xmLTU-X3.jpg

#2.
518072093_SxqKt-X3.jpg

#3.
518070996_4no5d-X3.jpg

#4. Professional Motocross Rider, Kyle Keast
518072295_5BFKU-X3.jpg

#5.
518132930_GgiaR-X3.jpg

#6. BCSphotoguy and Kyle Keast
518071931_DiyD3-X3.jpg

#7. Airborne
518070070_jCDfr-X3.jpg

#8. Zoom-zoom
518070487_or8dj-X3.jpg

I realize many of these are not traditional MX photos, but then again, I'm not a traditional guy. :D Had tons of fun and learned lots. Thanks BCSphotoguy!
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I've never shot MX but traditional or not, I like them all. Hard to find many nits...

#2 - Spectacular! Great comp.
    #3 - Like the PP but the bike feels too centered to me. Maybe crop a bit from the right.
    #4 - Love the concept. What lens did you use on this one? The tractor blade (?) is a bit distracting and would be nice to see the entire front tire but again, the perspective and clouds are great.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    #4 - Love the concept. What lens did you use on this one? The tractor blade (?) is a bit distracting and would be nice to see the entire front tire but again, the perspective and clouds are great.

Thanks Mike J for all you comments. Its always a learning process.

As for #4, I used the nikkor 14-24mm. Honestly, I would have to look at the metadata to get the exact focal length too. Fill flash (SB-800) was used to light up his face and bike.

Incidentally, my favourite is number #2 as I can really get into the feeling of the photo due to the rider's intense gaze. I have many more to go through so if I've got any more interesting shots, I'll post them. :D
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Great shots! I even like the one of me! I like the PP on them! I too think that different is better! If your images are the same as the next guys - why would people stop to look and admire yours? Gotta stand out.

As for the tractor blade - I know its an inside joke, but that dozer was put there for Kyle... So, to a few select people that see they shot, they will be very amused by it! In this context though I know it could be a distraction. I mylelf, chuckled!

Open invite anytime! I was told that we did a great job and people are loving the pics, and they normally dont see photogs lyin almost in mud to get the shots! Yes, I do have a photo of that BTW!! Cant wait to see the rest.
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Great Shots!!
    My fav's are 2 and 4.
    I was at the Gopher Dunes CMRC ride and Kyle Keast is way to
    much fun to shoot.
    Here's a couple didn't do anything to them .
    The second one was on my knees in the sand lol.
    Not sure if that was a good idea lol.

1.3415869509_a98144593d_o.jpg

2.3426790243_9a81e28cf4_o.jpg
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash