Adventures in Film

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited April 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This is a continuation of my dive into film photography. You will recall in part 1 I was shooting with my new film camera, a Bronica GS-1 6x7 camera. Since then my pursuit of film has gone to a whole new level. I noticed that my Bronica, while very compact for a MF camera, wasn't quite as small and portable as I would like. I decided to add a 35mm to my film experience. Now, a sane person with my collection of Canon EF lenses would buy a used film Rebel for ten bucks, shoot a few dozen rolls until the itch passes, then throw the Rebel in a closet, and never speak of it again. Unfortunately, my insanity and APUG has lead me to the world of rangefinders. (gasp!)

511280756_z5ehr-M.jpg
511281096_ztRtd-M.jpg
511280921_MAfcM-M.jpg

It's a brand new Voigtlander R3M with 40mm f/1.4. This is a really fun camera to shoot.

517401891_BKvkm-L.jpg
Hastings and Burrard
TMAX 100

517431203_7Z8Rr-L.jpg
Cherry Blossoms
Neopan 400

517431997_YGXC2-L.jpg
It's a really big world.
Tri-X 400

I know I'm supposed to stick with one film/developer combination until I can achieve consistent results, but I'm having too much fun experimenting with different films. I've tried TMAX 100, TMAX 400, TRI-X 400, but I keep coming back to Neopan 400. It's still my favorite b&w film. I've even tried my hand at push processing. I'm staying with D76 as my film developer for the moment.

517400722_XvjCs-L.jpg
Vancouver Public Library
Neopan 400 @ 1600

C&C welcome, as always.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I like #2 the best.

Just kidding. Awesome camera. Nice photos.
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I like #2 the best.

Just kidding. Awesome camera. Nice photos.

Haha. Thanks!:D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Ahhhhhh VOIGTLANDER.......what a camera....DROOOOL

nice series of shots also.....keep them comin'
    bowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumb
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 22, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Ahhhhhh VOIGTLANDER.......what a camera....DROOOOL

nice series of shots also.....keep them comin'
    bowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumb

Thanks Art!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    This is a continuation of my dive into film photography. You will recall in part 1 I was shooting with my new film camera, a Bronica GS-1 6x7 camera. Since then my pursuit of film has gone to a whole new level. I noticed that my Bronica, while very compact for a MF camera, wasn't quite as small and portable as I would like. I decided to add a 35mm to my film experience. Now, a sane person with my collection of Canon EF lenses would buy a used film Rebel for ten bucks, shoot a few dozen rolls until the itch passes, then throw the Rebel in a closet, and never speak of it again. Unfortunately, my insanity and APUG has lead me to the world of rangefinders. (gasp!)

It's a brand new Voigtlander R3M with 40mm f/1.4. This is a really fun camera to shoot.

Hastings and Burrard
    TMAX 100

Cherry Blossoms
    Neopan 400

It's a really big world.
    Tri-X 400

I know I'm supposed to stick with one film/developer combination until I can achieve consistent results, but I'm having too much fun experimenting with different films. I've tried TMAX 100, TMAX 400, TRI-X 400, but I keep coming back to Neopan 400. It's still my favorite b&w film. I've even tried my hand at push processing. I'm staying with D76 as my film developer for the moment.

Vancouver Public Library
    Neopan 400 @ 1600

C&C welcome, as always.

Thanks for looking.

I love the Cherry Blossoms shot.
    Interesting how not that long ago everyone used Film Camera's now just about everyone uses Digital .... that transition from Film to Digital seemed to happen every quickly.

Your shots look great, the camera looks kinda weird rolleyes1.gif
    I kept my old film camera's just for keepsake.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with Film with us thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    I still have my Canon film camera--it just doesn't work anymore. :cry This is a great series. I also like the cherry blossoms shot--I'd never have thought of cherry blossoms in B&W but I think it worked quite well. Looking forward to your next adventure!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 24, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    I love the Cherry Blossoms shot.
    Interesting how not that long ago everyone used Film Camera's now just about everyone uses Digital .... that transition from Film to Digital seemed to happen every quickly.
    Thanks Skippy!
    Skippy wrote:
    Your shots look great, the camera looks kinda weird rolleyes1.gif

But it takes great pictures. :D
    edited April 24, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I still have my Canon film camera--it just doesn't work anymore. :cry This is a great series. I also like the cherry blossoms shot--I'd never have thought of cherry blossoms in B&W but I think it worked quite well. Looking forward to your next adventure!

Lauren
    Thanks Lauren!