Found: Canon 5D (AUS only)

FatFrogFotographyFatFrogFotography Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited April 27, 2009 in House of Canon
I'm looking to pick up a good quality (low mileage) Canon 5D here in Australia. Not interested in importing from overseas as the import duty and taxes add too much cost, also exchange rates are not getting any better at the moment. So unfortunately that rules out the numerous US listings on here at the moment.

If there are any Aussies on here looking to sell their 5D, please let me know. Ideally looking for a grip as well, and hopefully an realistic estimated shutter count of 15k or less but willing to cinsider higher for a fair price.

Cheers,

Comments

• phildphild Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2009
    Christian, you may wish to get in touch with this guy, he has advertised a little used 5D (only a few hundred shots) with BG4 battery grip. Peter is an astrophotographer on our Astronomy forum and is based in Australia. You may have to sign up to send him a PM.

Cheers

Phil
  • GarryOGarryO Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2009
    I'm looking to pick up a good quality (low mileage) Canon 5D here in Australia. Not interested in importing from overseas as the import duty and taxes add too much cost, also exchange rates are not getting any better at the moment. So unfortunately that rules out the numerous US listings on here at the moment.

If there are any Aussies on here looking to sell their 5D, please let me know. Ideally looking for a grip as well, and hopefully an realistic estimated shutter count of 15k or less but willing to cinsider higher for a fair price.

Cheers,

This might help you out in the future when considering buying from OS and worrying about import duty etc. :D

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549
    All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less.
    Note: However, where there are multiple packages to the same addressee in Australia from a single consignor overseas that arrive at about the same time, then the value of all packages will be combined for duty and tax assessment purposes. Refer to example 1.
  • FatFrogFotographyFatFrogFotography Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Found
    Thanks guys, I managed to find a low milage 5D here in Perth from a lovely guy at a fair price. No longer need any more assistance with this.

GarryO, thanks for the link to the Customs site...sadly was well aware of the AUD$1000 limit and and seeing the 5Ds are usually selling for US$1200-1500 plus shipping (which need to be inlcuded in the $1000 limit)...I would need to pay 5% duty and then 10% GST on the whole amount...plus customs brokerage fees unless I wanted to deal with the paperwork myself, the lodgement of which also incures a fee I believe. Bottom line you're already looking at well beyond AUD$2000 and I'd much rather give that money to a fellow photog here in Oz.