Santa Barbara Spring Fling

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited May 21, 2009 in Landscapes
A handful of pics from last weekend's fantastic—yet brief—workshop with Marc Muench. It was a pleasure getting to know all of you and to put faces to avatars and usernames—great shooting with you guys.

UPDATE: Apologies, all the photos I uploaded for this thread are not available because I must have done something to their names once the LR3-Smugmug plug-in became available. The link to the gallery for this workshop is HERE

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Your first and last are particular fan-friggin-tastic! You really know what you're doing and are very comfortable with your gear. It was great meeting you in person and I really do hope that you're able to break free and come out more!
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Great work Danwings.gif your a quick study. As we were discussing the flower technique at lunch I commented how difficult it was and everyone agreed. Now, looking at this Poppy shot even I forget about the heat, steep rocky hill and flies going in my ear. All I see is a dreamy flower field somewhere in the California mountains.

If you ever give a workshop on sound design sign me upthumb.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Great work Danwings.gif your a quick study. As we were discussing the flower technique at lunch I commented how difficult it was and everyone agreed. Now, looking at this Poppy shot even I forget about the heat, steep rocky hill and flies going in my ear. All I see is a dreamy flower field somewhere in the California mountains.

If you ever give a workshop on sound design sign me upthumb.gif

Nice work, Dan! I'm so sorry I missed that sunset. :cry

Marc, music editing is where Dan could really tuna fork for ya. But you're coming along! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Thanks Schmoo & Marc,

I had the best time. I learned heaps that I can't wait to apply in the future. I wish though that I'd had a recorder going under some of Marc's Photoshop demos. The concepts I got, but the steps were flying past and I didn't catch as many as I needed. I think I did 50 steps on that sunset that I could have done in 10 with better results. Gotta get my masking chops happening.

Preparing shots for critiques!
    edited April 22, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice work, Dan! I'm so sorry I missed that sunset. :cry

Many thanks Dave—let's see yours! I'm hoping I have something decent from Day 2's sunrise, where I almost slid off the giddy precipice.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Many thanks Dave—let's see yours! I'm hoping I have something decent from Day 2's sunrise, where I almost slid off the giddy precipice.

I've had no time. Literally have not removed the card from my camera. But it'll come, I promise! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Like that first shot. Good layers.
    edited April 23, 2009
    Couple more

518976935_hGjjS-L-6.jpg

524539547_jSvs9-L.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 23, 2009
    Great series, Pindy. Gorgeous shots. I really need to make it out to one of Marc's workshops one of these days. I noticed you have some more really good shots from the workshop in your gallery you haven't posted yet. mwink.gif

Say, I noticed that you used the 5DMKII for this shoot. From your "Sleeping with the enemy" post, I had the impression that you favored the D700. And yet, here you are using the Canon. Was I wrong?

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited April 24, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Great series, Pindy. Gorgeous shots. I really need to make it out to one of Marc's workshops one of these days. I noticed you have some more really good shots from the workshop in your gallery you haven't posted yet. mwink.gif

Say, I noticed that you used the 5DMKII for this shoot. From your "Sleeping with the enemy" post, I had the impression that you favored the D700. And yet, here you are using the Canon. Was I wrong?

Cheers,
    -joel

Hey Joel,

Appreciate it very much. I can't recommend Marc's workshops and personal style more. I will most definitely be back for another as soon as possible. I have much more in the can that needs PP and Mrs Pindy is gone for the week so it's me and the little Pindies and no time on my hands :wow

As for the D700, it was there, but only with a 70-200 on it so all the wide stuff is the Canon. Funny—I made some peace with the Canon in a landscape context. The bracketing worked great (Nikon can only do as wide as 1 stop, so if you want a 2-stop spread, you have to take 5 exposures [-2, -1, 0EV, +1, +2]) and I learned some good tips from Marc, like the square in live view. I didn't know it was the zone where metering happens, I thought it was only for AF and zooming. using the IR remote in LV with bracketing enabled was great. I had misplaced my wired remote on the last night and found the IR remote would fire all 3 bracketed exposures automatically in LV. If you hold the shutter in LV, you only get one exposure (LAME).

The first photo (vertical landscape with trees in FG) and the 6th (the poppies & lupine) as well as the pelicans are all with the Nikon. The Canon obviously saw more action. Both are superb in their own right. Most of the Smuggers had the 24L TS/E which Marc gave a demo of. I never asked to borrow one (stupid) but I really saw why it's a great lens for landscape and nature photography. I think a rental is due.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Gorgeous set Dan. Really really love 1st and lastiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Dan
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Wonderful work!! That flower shot is just exquisite!!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 24, 2009
    Thanks again. That flower shot is all Marc's guidance. The technique is incredibly hard to see, he says, until you "see it". I'm not sure if I saw it or not (We all grumbled about how hard it was to fill the foreground), but I like how that one came out.

A couple more:

518278903_UrcpQ-L-7.jpg

518279012_PX2B2-L-8.jpg
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    clap.gifclap Beautiful !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    great series, i really enjoyed these images!thumb.gif love love the wild poppy flower shot...
    Aaron Nelson
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Wonderful looking series. Great variety!!
    edited May 20, 2009
    Here's one I put aside for a while:

541144464_mKm2A-XL.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Wow Dan that was worth the wait! Great dynamic range in a difficult lighting situation thumb.gif

One thing that I love to see is the contrast of yellows and blues in nature, and you got it here.

The shot makes me want pancakes.
    edited May 20, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Wow Dan that was worth the wait! Great dynamic range in a difficult lighting situation thumb.gif

One thing that I love to see is the contrast of yellows and blues in nature, and you got it here.

The shot makes me want pancakes.

Pancakes indeed!

Thank you. I tried every HDR-type technique I knew on this, but didn't like anything. Everything looked so fussed-over. Finally, after seeing Sean McCormack's lightroom video on the grad filter tool, I gave it a whirl with a better understanding of what I was doing. It is mostly two gradients—one from the horizon line on up and on broad one below to bring out the blue in the water. I painted back some of the negative exposure on the boats in the horizon, just so there wasn't a line. Seeing Marc's gradient work was also an inspiration.
  • xiebuxiebu Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Your first and last are particular fan-friggin-tastic! You really know what you're doing and are very comfortable with your gear. It was great meeting you in person and I really do hope that you're able to break free and come out more!

absolute the first one , exellent

xiebu
    Canon 40D and some glass.
    In every color there is the light...
    http://users.telenet.be/xiebu
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    I like the one with the poppies. Nice use of DOF.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours