First intense weekend with 20D

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited June 10, 2005 in People
First intense weekend with 20D in the Old City of Jerusalem ...

24037585-M.jpg

24037596-M.jpg

24037603-M.jpg

24024546-M.jpg

24036725-M.jpg

More at The Many Faces of Jerusalem

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    These are nice! But that first page of your website is FANTASTIC!

I love the man in the rain, lots of others, just outstanding photography Nir.

ginger (I did not have time to go through all of them. Will later, I hope.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nir just love the first one. You can tell this man lived a full life just from the lines in his face...
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Beautiful photos. What lens are you using? Are you shooting in RAW? I just got a 20D last week with the 17-85mm stablized lens, the only one I have at the moment. I have some issues with the lens (apparent chromatic aberration), but overall like it a lot. I need more glass, though, but that is a topic for another forum.

Virginia

Email
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Thanks guys!

Virginia, I used my Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM, but wish I had something wider and faster!! This weekend I shot in JPG. Sometimes I do RAWs. I am still undecided. RAWs take so much more effort in post and I still haven't seen proof of their advantage.
    What I can say is that now, after about 800 shots, I am just beginning to FEEL the camera. In Tv or Av I still often make mistakes, forgetting to make corrections for the 'next' shot and then regretting it horribly. M I use only in special situations of which there haven't been too many since I got the 20d. What I am getting addicted to is using P and shifting the auto-measured exposure by turning the little wheel on top.
    Light measuring modes still get me confused - can't remember which icon means what! I've looked it up in the manual about a dozen times already (and am looking it up again at the moment - p.71).

Thanks again!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nir - really beautiful shots. Those first two are fantastic... and I enjoyed revisiting your site to see some old favorites. thumb.gif
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Shalom Nir,

A very interesting gallery, I especially liked that you have taken the trouble to caption the photographs, e.g. holy cross, western wall, it makes an excellent gallery very informative, thumb.gif .

The match was as tense as I thought it would be. A great result for you, you can start planning your trip to Germany next year. The atmosphere was electric, especially the last 10 minutes. ( for everyone else Israel drew with Ireland 2-2 and are now second in the group with a great chance of qualifying for the World cup in Germany next year.

Seamus.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    New Cameras
    :): :): :): :): :):

Ah the joy and frustration of a new camera! You made me smile! I really enjoyed hearing that someone else has adjustment issues (oh, oh well, yes it's a pun isn't it?) with their new cams.

I remember well my surprise when I upgraded from the Sony 707 to the 828 and was really shocked that the differences, though not that drastic as switching to a dSLR, were enough to give me pause -- and make me miss pictures!!!

I too settled for jpg and using the "P" mode on my camera. I let the cam make most of the decisions, but at least I've learned enough to know when to pause, think, and change the aperture or shutter speed, and to look at the changes that result and think about what will happen.

And those icons! I still don't know what they all mean and it's been over a year.

Yesterday I pulled out the manual from my purse (yes, I carry my camera manual around with me) to try continuous focusing, had to go to "set up" to change it. After trying it, I went back to what I had been using.

I reviewed those icon explanations, but with so many options built into each one I get confused. But, it's simple really -- each focus mode has 4 ways you can use it, the four ways are all the same for each mode.

But the worse thing about dSLR for me I think, are the stories I hear about photographers setting up their camera for a certain situation, and then moving on, forgetting to change it back.

I guess one gets used to it and remembers to remember rolleyes1.gif

Good luck with your new cam, I'm sure it will become your new old friend in a short time.
  • Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    i like it. those are nice.
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~
  • Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nir wrote:

24037585-M.jpg

More at The Many Faces of Jerusalem
    Hello Nir !

congratulations with your new camera.
    Have fun with it !

Bye,
    Peter Dumont
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Thanks guys!

Virginia, I used my Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM, but wish I had something wider and faster!! This weekend I shot in JPG. Sometimes I do RAWs. I am still undecided. RAWs take so much more effort in post and I still haven't seen proof of their advantage.

What I can say is that now, after about 800 shots, I am just beginning to FEEL the camera. In Tv or Av I still often make mistakes, forgetting to make corrections for the 'next' shot and then regretting it horribly. M I use only in special situations of which there haven't been too many since I got the 20d. What I am getting addicted to is using P and shifting the auto-measured exposure by turning the little wheel on top.

Light measuring modes still get me confused - can't remember which icon means what! I've looked it up in the manual about a dozen times already (and am looking it up again at the moment - p.71).

Thanks again!
    I asked about the RAW issue because the guru I live with believes very strongly that it is stupid for me not to always take in RAW because, when you do, you have the maximum amount of info to work with in post. And you can't get that data back if you find you need it after the picture has been taken. Of course, he doesn't do a lot of post processing so it is easy for him to take the theoretical "high" road. rolleyes1.gif When I was using the Canon G-5, I took RAW only when the exposure was difficult and I knew that I would want/need to have the max data to get what I wanted out of the photo. Still, like you, I am not convinced it is worth the trouble most of the time. Anyhow, I am trying to find software that I like for processing the RAW and to develop a rational workflow. Don't have photoshop (I use Corel PhotoPaint 12), which I understand does a good job with RAW files, including the CR-2. Am trying out Capture One for now.

Your comments make me feel a lot better about some of the mistakes I am making at about 250 shots into using the camera. The biggest for me so far is forgetting to check and change the ISO when going from dim light to the outdoors. I'm used to seeing it displayed and on the 20D you have to push a little button to check and/or change it. Out of sight, out of mind.

As for metering modes, I just figured out how to change the mode today! I was stuck in evaluative and it was driving me nuts. I won't even tell you what I was doing wrong.

With all of this, I am happy with the pix I am getting -- though nothing as spectacluar as those you took this weekend. thumb.gif Thanks for sharing!!

Virginia

Email
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    What can I say? Great pictures of great subjects.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nir,
    Congratulations on your new camera, on wonderful shots..thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nir..i have been actually waiting to see some stuff from your part of the world. fantastic thumb.gif

How do you find the 20D ? I found it the easiest camera to operate ive ever had but the lens learning curve is a step one.

Gus
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nir wrote:

24037585-M.jpg

Stunning portrait. Congrats on the new camera.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nir
    Congrats on the new camera clap.gif ...it's always fun getting a new toy :D
    Nice first shots too
    Can't wait to see what you can do with the 20d thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Virginia, I used my Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM, but wish I had something wider and faster!!
    Look into the Tamron 17-35 f2.8/4 -- I have one and really like it.

19228827-M.jpg
    Nir wrote:
    This weekend I shot in JPG. Sometimes I do RAWs. I am still undecided. RAWs take so much more effort in post and I still haven't seen proof of their advantage.
    I shot probably 50,000 plus jpg's before converting to RAW. Have you looked into Raw Shooter from www.pixmantec.com ? It's free and really fast. I now shoot raw BECAUSE it's easier and faster to get photos that "pop".

I'm not one who thinks people can only shoot in RAW to get good results. But I now shoot RAW becase, for me, it's the quickest way to get the best results. It also helps that I now have 7gigs of CF cards :)
    Nir wrote:
    What I can say is that now, after about 800 shots, I am just beginning to FEEL the camera.
    I started with the digital rebel and didn't start feeling comfortable with my control of the camera until around 15,000 or so. You are learning much faster than I :)

Great photos you've shared as well. Loved the first one.

Lee
    edited June 6, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your very kind comments!!

One more I uploaded today - this one reminded me of "The Flying Nun" - anyone remember that?

24147291-M.jpg

Sister Edith Clare in a convent in Jerusalem.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
    edited June 6, 2005
    Hi Lee!
    leebase wrote:
    Look into the Tamron 17-35 f2.8/4 -- I have one and really like it.
    I have to look into my bank account! :giggle So many things I need to buy for the 20D - lenses of course (I want the 828 equivalent - 20-200 after conversion F2!!), polarizer and NDs (what size? a set for every lens or stepdown adapters?), a new tripod (now using my dad's Vivitar 30-40 years old), a flash, more CFs... endless.

leebase wrote:
    I shot probably 50,000 plus jpg's before converting to RAW. Have you looked into Raw Shooter from www.pixmantec.com ? It's free and really fast. I now shoot raw BECAUSE it's easier and faster to get photos that "pop".
    Downloaded it. Thanks! Have been playing with it for ~30 minutes. Kind of acts wierd. It opens all RAWs with a strange tint and very flat look that is difficult to get rid of. I'm currently using PS's Raw plugin.
    leebase wrote:
    I'm not one who thinks people can only shoot in RAW to get good results. But I now shoot RAW becase, for me, it's the quickest way to get the best results. It also helps that I now have 7gigs of CF cards :)
    I just bought another 1GB yesterday so now have 2GB plus 30GB in my XDriveII.
    leebase wrote:
    I started with the digital rebel and didn't start feeling comfortable with my control of the camera until around 15,000 or so. You are learning much faster than I :)
    Hey! I said I was just BEGINNING to get a feel of the camera mwink.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • JesusVJesusV Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2005
    Shalom Nir...
    Great series, like all 'm but the first one is just amazing clap.gif .

Regards,

JESUS
    24037585-M.jpg
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    I have to agree with the others, the first one is great! thumb.gif

regards
    alan
    edited June 6, 2005
    Thanks again guys!

I sent the 1st, "Watching the World Wiz By" to Kodak - ne_nau.gif
    (I know 'whiz' is spelled with an 'h' but kodak only allow 25 characters)

He was litterly sitting there in solitude "Watching the World Wiz By"...

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    I think you're getting the hang of this new camera... I love one and two. the blue doors with the children is great.

wonderful thumb.gif

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited June 6, 2005
    johno wrote:
    I think you're getting the hang of this new camera... I love one and two. the blue doors with the children is great.
    Let's put it this way; I'm making enough mistakes to learn from :D
    The girls in the blue doorway for example; I was on Aperture Priority at F8 and therefore got only 1/50s which isn't fast enough - it's not sharp! :cry
    But hey, 1st stage is understanding the mistakes, isn't it? Implementing the lessons learned, well, that could still take some time headscratch.gif

Thanks johno!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Congrats Nir! clap.gif makes me want a 20d eek7.gif Love the first shot, it's beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more more more clap.gif
    edited June 8, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Congrats Nir! clap.gif makes me want a 20d eek7.gif Love the first shot, it's beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more more more clap.gif
    Thanks Lynn!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Shalom, Nir!
    All of them are just wonderful. As you might guess, the first one is my fav.
    What lens did you use?
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    edited June 8, 2005
    Shalom, Nir!
    All of them are just wonderful. As you might guess, the first one is my fav.
    What lens did you use?
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    Thanks Yuri!
    "What lens did you use?" :(: I don't have much of a choice - Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM @105mm (ISO100, F8, 1/125)

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Nir
    Nir wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your very kind comments!!

One more I uploaded today - this one reminded me of "The Flying Nun" - anyone remember that?

24147291-M.jpg

Sister Edith Clare in a convent in Jerusalem.
    Oh thats a really nice shotclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Very cool movement

And yes I used to watch the Flying Nun (Sally Fields) :D

Thanks
    Fred
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 9, 2005
    Outstanding Nir thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif The story that the face in the first pic tells clap.gif

Hey, don't feel bad about making mistakes. Most of us do, all the time rolleyes1.gif As far as the metering icons, I've had the camera for 7 months and taken over 11,000 shots and I still have to ask Andy or Ian what the little icons mean ne_nau.gif....lol If you have enough memory, I'd suggest shooting RAW and Large JPG. You get the best of both worlds (at the cost of only being able to capture about 85 images per gig of memory card). JPG's for qick editing and a RAW file in case you need to adjust wb, or correct exposure.

I have finally forced myself to look down at the settings (displayed in the bottom of the VF) BEFORE mashing the release...lol I'm getting much better results. Or at least, way less camera shake problems.

Not that your Sony was bad, but your talent begs for this camera. I'm glad it's working out well for you :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited June 10, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    And yes I used to watch the Flying Nun (Sally Fields) :D
    Fred
    Thanks Fred! But, hey, you've revealed your age group lol3.gif
    Steve wrote:
    Hey, don't feel bad about making mistakes. Most of us do, all the time rolleyes1.gif As far as the metering icons, I've had the camera for 7 months and taken over 11,000 shots and I still have to ask Andy or Ian what the little icons mean ne_nau.gif....lol
    rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Steve!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts