They Used to Live There: A Study of the Park Ave Row Houses

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited April 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I don't know exactly when Park's Ave Apartments & Rooms were built but I understand from my parents that they think that they were there in the '30s. About 20-years ago, Virginia Beach began a revitalization program for the oceanfront after tourism dropped due to the decline in property maintenance. The Park Avenue row houses became a rundown, poverty ridden spot situated between a new modern-design convention center, new firehouse, and several upscale restaurants. In some of the photos you will see that they are backed by new bank buildings.

I thought the apartments would have been destroyed years ago but it wasn't until this past weekend that I noticed that they had been foreclosed and boarded up. There is little history to be found on them scouring the net, but I plan on finding out a bit more. I'd love to know the stories of the people that passed through there.

The gray, blustery day was well suited for the subject. Here are some of the images. C&C welcomed as usual....

518159704_FvdBm-M-1.jpg

518160229_LkNh3-M-1.jpg

518160576_GKnDy-M-1.jpg

518159204_BMBE9-M-1.jpg

518159905_82WTV-M-1.jpg

518158990_fDfEN-M-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    I don't know exactly when Park's Ave Apartments & Rooms were built but I understand from my parents that they think that they were there in the '30s. About 20-years ago, Virginia Beach began a revitalization program for the oceanfront after tourism dropped due to the decline in property maintenance. The Park Avenue row houses became a rundown, poverty ridden spot situated between a new modern-design convention center, new firehouse, and several upscale restaurants. In some of the photos you will see that they are backed by new bank buildings.

I thought the apartments would have been destroyed years ago but it wasn't until this past weekend that I noticed that they had been foreclosed and boarded up. There is little history to be found on them scouring the net, but I plan on finding out a bit more. I'd love to know the stories of the people that passed through there.

The gray, blustery day was well suited for the subject. Here are some of the images. C&C welcomed as usual....

Thanks for looking.

Doesn't seem to matter how run down a place gets, people still have to have satelite TV for some reason headscratch.gif why is that?

That's a rather nice frame you've used on these images, I like your HDR's.

..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Nice series, Ive seen those places before. I used to love driving down to the beach, When I lived there.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Thanks y'all for the comments. Skippy your right - amazing how people who can barely buy food manage to have satellite dishes. headscratch.gif For some reason i found that sadly humorous.