odd question for you macro bug lovers

ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited April 23, 2009 in Holy Macro
Kind of an odd question I'm a first time home owner and am going to be doing the gardens soon and was wandering what flowers attract cool looking bugs and butterflies so I can get creative with some macro

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    This question is probably better posed in the Macro forum but I find roses attract a variety of insects including bees, hoverflies and others. My Lace Hydrangea attracts butterflies, and there's always the Butterfly bush. Most any flowering plants attract insects. You just have to forego the use of insecticides!

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    sser wrote:
    Kind of an odd question I'm a first time home owner and am going to be doing the gardens soon and was wandering what flowers attract cool looking bugs and butterflies so I can get creative with some macro

Hi there sser........ you can actually buy plants that attract Butterflies and Birds to your garden.

I don't know what country you live in, but if you look up on the net.
    I went to GOOGLE and put in this line.

Plants that attract butterflies .... you'll be surprised what you find there.

Bees are attracted to almost any kind of flower or blossom,
    Lavender is a great one attracting them.

Hopefully others will give you some input thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    I guess it all depends on where you live.. Alaska? Bahamas ?
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Some evergreen shrubs are good, plus a range of flowering shrubs- eg hebes, Potentillas, lace hydrangeas, buddlias.
    Brian v.