Options

Dragonfly

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited June 6, 2005 in Wildlife
Placed the lightsphere II at 45 degrees left. Notice the highlights in the eyes. Seems to work well, but you have to bump the FEC up in the 3+ range.
24059042-L.jpg

Head shot:
24059035-L.jpg

Another:
24059040-L.jpg
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    these are great as have been you previous posts thumb.gif
    Question please
    I need to get some out in the wild any tips/tricks.
    I tried following a few around miday but to no avail they never seem to light at all or only a spilit second.
    Any good times when there are stiller, I did try early AM but did not see a one ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    these are great as have been you previous posts thumb.gif
    Question please
    I need to get some out in the wild any tips/tricks.
    I tried following a few around miday but to no avail they never seem to light at all or only a spilit second.
    Any good times when there are stiller, I did try early AM but did not see a one ne_nau.gif
    I'm not sure what the best time of day is to catch them sitting. The ones around here seem to light fairly often. If you can find where they are perching, they will often come back to the same spot after flying around a bit. You might try waiting for them to return to their perch. We seem to have a ton of these guys around this year. Good luck Dragon hunting!

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nice!thumb.gif I like the use of a different angle for the flash. Very cool set.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Nice!thumb.gif I like the use of a different angle for the flash. Very cool set.
    Thanks Khaos, and thanks for looking.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Great photos, Thomas!

Is that how you relax?

Nature is interesting, isn't it. How is a dragonfly's social life. Ben, you are supposed to get to "know" your subject........their habits and stuff. Amazing how "human" everything seems to be.

(And whatever lighting you used, Thomas, funny, I just read about it on Lee's thread re doing a wedding.)

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Wow those are awsome. there tons of dragon flies by my house but i can never get close enough. Those are really cool.
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Great photos, Thomas!

Is that how you relax?

Nature is interesting, isn't it. How is a dragonfly's social life. Ben, you are supposed to get to "know" your subject........their habits and stuff. Amazing how "human" everything seems to be.

(And whatever lighting you used, Thomas, funny, I just read about it on Lee's thread re doing a wedding.)

ginger
    Thanks Ginger. Yes, Dragon hunting is one of my relaxation techniques : ). My 5yr old son is really into bugs, so it gives a common goal to go "hunting" for dragons. All of these are in my yard. It is great to be able to photograph something fun while watching out for the kids at the same time. Plus you can shoot them just about any time of the day. Thanks for looking.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Rufio220 wrote:
    Wow those are awsome. there tons of dragon flies by my house but i can never get close enough. Those are really cool.
    Thanks Rufio. You should give them a try. It challenging but fun.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Great pics Thomas.

What lens did you use?

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    davev wrote:
    Great pics Thomas.

What lens did you use?

dave.
    These are all with the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens. I highly recommend it. I use it for portraits and macro. Very sharp, light weight and not too expensive (In a relative sort of way) :). Thanks for looking.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com