Options

My 1600 shot day at Oran Park, Sydney [22 photos]

FL00DYFL00DY Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited April 28, 2009 in Sports
Hi guys and girls,

On easter Sunday the BMW Club of NSW had Round 1 at Oran Park racetrack in Sydney's south west which is only 5 minutes from my place. I had 2 mates racing their MINI's so I went out and caught up with a few others car mates. It's taken me a few weeks but I've gotten rid of almost half the shots I took :( not sure what that means.

1) My mates in the MINI's. The front car is actually a full race car and competes at the yearly Targa Tasmania tarmac rally thats being run next week.
517497740_jp4bM-L.jpg

2)
517533420_YUDuu-L.jpg

3) My mate Tommy in the blue MINI had a nice scare just before the last turn onto the straight.
517499026_FSyPi-L.jpg

4) Got a bit sideways after that
517499326_3GaP7-L.jpg

5)
517499500_37SxC-L.jpg

6)
517498926_HhRyf-L.jpg

7) There was a great looking PRB Clubman running around and putting down decent times.
517501240_5Lwry-L.jpg

8)
517590538_y43ea-L.jpg

9)
517526833_yzo4V-L.jpg

10) My favourite car of the day was this E12 520i. It's got me looking at old BMW's as my track cars.
517554059_Zj5t8-L.jpg

11)
517605253_3hDcL-L.jpg

12)
517605965_cLWNU-L.jpg

13)
517607289_4kkD3-L.jpg

14)
517486232_B3M7q-L.jpg

15)
517586537_CrLdu-L.jpg

16)
517590081_ZAhJc-L.jpg

17)
517590286_dduxb-L.jpg

18) Does missing half the car really matter when all the action is still there?
517587661_j2Qm2-L.jpg

19) Old and new. I loved the old more then the new, they were more exciting and I could really capture their movement. This new E92 M3 looks like it's almost parked.
517602864_YuJJk-L.jpg

20)
517608454_vZ6Di-L.jpg

21) These guys got a bit close
517619516_BcEv7-L.jpg

22) Eventually Bill in the red car had slowed enough to pull in behind the M3. Spoke to Bill later and he was having a laugh, dangerous move but was a lot of fun. Setting up for that corner, they're braking after doing 180km/h down the long straight with a fast long corner with bumps on the racing line.
517619774_hsocJ-L.jpg

They're some of my favourite shots and the rest of them are here. Would love C&C on them, this is my first full day shooting and learnt a lot ... I just hope it sinks in. I had problems getting the early shots right and I had problems with the white cars.
“I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

My Blog: www.floody82.com
My Photos: floody82.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    ne_nau.gif anyone? anyone at all like my shots?

I like them cause I like the cars, I've had positive feedback from non-togs but car people. But I really need to know what this place thinks bout them ???

Cheers
    Paul
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

• Options
    neuronneuron Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Hi,

If you'll take comments from newbie, the shots seems to be very good on technical side. Motion frozen, correct exposure ... But, they seem to be boring to me. Most of the times I don't have the sense of speed and power. For example #15, is the car racing or is it parked there ?

What I would try to do (again, no experience in racing shooting, so just random bunch of idea)

* Get closer
    Due to the long lens, you feel to be long away from the action. You are not dragged in. This might not be possible at all, I do not know ... #21 - they seem to be breaking pretty hard, the car tilt would be more apparent from the side view.

* Shoot with longer time
    and follow the car with your camera, so that the background has motion blur, but the car is sharp. Or if the car is approaching you, zoom the lens during exposition.

* Remove light reflection in front window (not sure how it is called in English - windshield ?)
    In #10 you can actually see drivers glasses, #14 you see less. Polarizer would help, but I'm sure it would be hell of a job to set it right for the moving cars.

* Crop the images
    In #19, the cars seems to be 'crossing' one each other, if you would cut just the center, it might be more dramatic. #8,#9 - I would love to see details of the car, there are some red things hanging from the front.

Just my personal comments, others might disagree with me.

On the other hand, as dogs photographer I envy you the way they are frozen, I wish I had my dogs like that :)

Cheers
    --
    Vlad
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    My read is, cars racing is boring to photograph and I'm a car enthusiast.

You have to do artificial things the bring excitement. Tilts, severe crops, etc.

John Thawley is one of the best I've seen. Here is a thread - look him up

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/763918

Here is one of the boring I've done
    280233486_iUuaD-M.jpg

and this gives me a woody (Baja, Mex)
    423277409_DWBd8-M-1.jpg

If you want exciting motor sports pix in the UK, shot motorcycle racing in the threat of rain

Good luck
    Rags
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited April 24, 2009
    A fun look at the cars. That orange one needs a trip to the suspension clinic though lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    neuron wrote:
    Hi,

If you'll take comments from newbie, the shots seems to be very good on technical side. Motion frozen, correct exposure ... But, they seem to be boring to me. Most of the times I don't have the sense of speed and power. For example #15, is the car racing or is it parked there ?

What I would try to do (again, no experience in racing shooting, so just random bunch of idea)

* Get closer
    Due to the long lens, you feel to be long away from the action. You are not dragged in. This might not be possible at all, I do not know ... #21 - they seem to be breaking pretty hard, the car tilt would be more apparent from the side view.

* Shoot with longer time
    and follow the car with your camera, so that the background has motion blur, but the car is sharp. Or if the car is approaching you, zoom the lens during exposition.

* Remove light reflection in front window (not sure how it is called in English - windshield ?)
    In #10 you can actually see drivers glasses, #14 you see less. Polarizer would help, but I'm sure it would be hell of a job to set it right for the moving cars.

* Crop the images
    In #19, the cars seems to be 'crossing' one each other, if you would cut just the center, it might be more dramatic. #8,#9 - I would love to see details of the car, there are some red things hanging from the front.

Just my personal comments, others might disagree with me.

On the other hand, as dogs photographer I envy you the way they are frozen, I wish I had my dogs like that :)

Cheers
    --
    Vlad
    You're right, I found it hard to capture the true speed they were doing. The best I could do is I knew the corners that they might lift a wheel off, and with the older cars the body roll shows speed (such as the orang 520 car). I did try panning with the car, but didn't get that motion blur in the background or part of the cars (like the numbers or names) were blurred and all panning did was give me a lot of shots. If this was a video forum you would have said 'wow they're fast' :D

Yeah #15 looks like his parked, but #16, #17 & #18 all have their wheels off the ground, these were the faster drivers who know the lines and hit that apex right every time.

As for getting closer, this is impossible on a race track. The closest I could have got was on the straight and I asked and they weren't allowing people to stand on the pitt wall (some race days do). I was using a D90 with the 55-200 kit lens, whilst for these kind of shots I don't think I needed a longer lense, perhaps a faster one. This is as close as the photo's will ever get.

From a tech side I get your point about the windscreen, but the drivers seem to like it when they can see themselves. I'm not sure exactly what you mean? How could I setup to not see their faces?

Thanks for the comments, I will be working on the motion blur. Loving this shot from that link torags thumb.gif
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/99/327999.jpg

• Options
    neuronneuron Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    FL00DY wrote:
    From a tech side I get your point about the windscreen, but the drivers seem to like it when they can see themselves. I'm not sure exactly what you mean? How could I setup to not see their faces?

I had in mind exactly as you say - display the drivers head/helmet rather than just light reflected. I'm sorry if I was not clear.

Have a good light and let us know what you achieved, I'm certainly looking forward to it!

--
    neuron