Me, the tree, and the fog

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited April 28, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Took one of my dogs out to relieve himself about 9 PM last night. The fog was quite thick with a slight misty drizzle. The whole scene was quite reminiscent of the Scottish moors in those old werewolf movies. I took the dog in and brought out my camera. It's quite amazing how much detail the D700 captures in extreme low light shooting RAW. I could barely discern the outline of the closest cherry tree with the naked eye. The only light was the 100 watt bulb by the door 20-25 feet behind me. I thought of rigging up my IR remote trigger to avoid my shadow but was too tired from a full day of heavy yard work. Anyway I think it adds to the image. The arcs of light around my head and reflected off the fog is caused by the back door light being directly behind and in line with my head.

D700 Nikkor 14-24mm @ 19mm, f/2.8 4sec iso 400

518849076_Va4C6-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Mysterious for sure! It might've added to your werewolf memories if you'd left your dog in the shot . . . :D

Nice job.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Took one of my dogs out to relieve himself about 9 PM last night. The fog was quite thick with a slight misty drizzle. The whole scene was quite reminiscent of the Scottish moors in those old werewolf movies. I took the dog in and brought out my camera. It's quite amazing how much detail the D700 captures in extreme low light shooting RAW. I could barely discern the outline of the closest cherry tree with the naked eye. The only light was the 100 watt bulb by the door 20-25 feet behind me. I thought of rigging up my IR remote trigger to avoid my shadow but was too tired from a full day of heavy yard work. Anyway I think it adds to the image. The arcs of light around my head and reflected off the fog is caused by the back door light being directly behind and in line with my head.

D700 Nikkor 14-24mm @ 19mm, f/2.8 4sec iso 400

Awwwww Jack I have to confess I read the heading to your shot wrong,
    and I have been looking for a FROG in your shot rolleyes1.gif

I thought it said "Me, the tree, and the frog" no wonder I can't find the frog...that's cause it's lost in the FOG right :D hahaha!

Thats interesting how the lights formed a dome or arch,
    gives it that eerie feel, your shadow adds more drama to the shot.

Good shot thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Hi Jack.......That D700 is some camera..If I shot that with my camera you wouldn't have been able to see the tree for the noise. I always liked those werewolf movies........... COOL SHOT..:D azzaro
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    k i need glasses... i was looking for a frog for some time.... then i realized it says FOG.....

anywayyelrotflmao.gif

that setups colors are wings.gif i look forward to some landscapes from youthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Mysterious for sure! It might've added to your werewolf memories if you'd left your dog in the shot . . . :D

Nice job.

Lauren

Thanks Lauren but my Barney is anything but werewolf like :D

Jack
    edited April 26, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Awwwww Jack I have to confess I read the heading to your shot wrong,
    and I have been looking for a FROG in your shot rolleyes1.gif

I thought it said "Me, the tree, and the frog" no wonder I can't find the frog...that's cause it's lost in the FOG right :D hahaha!

Thats interesting how the lights formed a dome or arch,
    gives it that eerie feel, your shadow adds more drama to the shot.

Good shot thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy. The camera just cut right through most of the fog and no amount of PP could produce the really eerie look the scene had.

Jack
    edited April 28, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Jack.......That D700 is some camera..If I shot that with my camera you wouldn't have been able to see the tree for the noise. I always liked those werewolf movies........... COOL SHOT..:D azzaro

It certainly is Azzaro. Maybe someday I'll be skilled enough to take full advantage of it's capabilities. rolleyes1.gif

Jack