IMPROMPTU, unprepared Senior Shoot (C & C Welcome)

imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited April 29, 2009 in People
Recent IMPROMPTU shoot...

So, I've known a lady for more than 20 years... worked with her when I was 16... sporadically kept in touch over the years. Last year, she was arrested on felony embezzlement charges... HORRIBLE, but true. She has 3 children... One in college, one due to graduate on June 6 and one who's a sophmore in high school. So... on Good Friday I ran into her for the first time in 3 years. We talked, hugged and cried. I didn't give it a second thought. On Tuesday after Easter, I get a phone call from the school that my daughter has injured her eye and I needed to get there immediately. Off I go. We go to the doctor and he finds a 4mm piece of plastic in the very top of her eye and more than 50 corneal scratches. Anyway, we get it out and she's going to be okay. Here's the amazing part... ANYONE who knows me, KNOWS I would NEVER drag my daughter out after such an ordeal. My daughter is modeling for a company that's been picked up internationally (T-Shirt Tutu's-http://www.tshirttutus.com) and I've been commissioned to take the local photos. Well, after dinner I look at her and my husband and say, "We've got to get these shoots done. I know your eye is red, but we'll go shoot the back of the t-shirts." Off we go. We get to the little scenic park downtown and I run into my friend again... this time with a friend and P&S camera trying to take some kind of senior portrait of her son. So... here I go... We only had a 30 minutes, but I think they came out okay.

On the way home, my husband and I discussed how God puts where we're needed and how amazing it is to help those in need... So, as I'm processing the photos, here come the tears---I can see them on a cell wall and it's been hard. Anyway, she called today and would like one more photo of all three of her kids. Of course I will do it, but it will be hard... Sentencing is the first week of May.

Here's my question---any GREAT ideas for posing on three kids??? How to portray LOVE, COMPASSION, TRUST, HONOR, RESPECT, etc. in a photo that might be hung on a prison wall??

Count your blessings

#1---His football jersey is #19
517939474_g6nRv-M.jpg

517939240_zm6G2-M.jpg

517939697_wWRQ5-M.jpg

517939401_VSSxu-M.jpg

517939764_xXxy9-M.jpg

Oh yeah---here's what was in her eye: OUCH!
3457014017_38e1ceb3f2.jpg
Blessings,
Marjohn

Images of Him Photography

Comments

• austinstrobistaustinstrobist Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Great shots on the fly and I think you are doing a WONDERFUL thing!

I can't help on the poses as I am a complete noob but best of luck!
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Awesome! I like the first best. Photography is a great gift to give, and your right your put right where you need to be sometimes.
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    I like #1, but you may need to "paint" in a little more of the "1" in "19" as it's almost non-existant.
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    I don't personally have any recommendations, but I love the look and style of Calotype Photography. (You can google them, she's got her portfolio on her blog.) Lots of family and multiple-subject portraits.

Best to you! It's a very sweet and generous thing you're doing.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Thanks to all for the compliments and thanks for the Calotype thoughts...

I will be doing the shoot next week and wanted to see if anyone had any other posing ideas?? I truly want "meaning" to be CLEARLY EMBEDDED & VISIBLE in these shots...
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• momwacmomwac Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Personally, I would get them to jump around, mug with each other, climb trees (or one another), hold a precarious position until they all fall over giggling... and shoot them having FUN. Do the serious, soul-searching poses if that's what you're after, but make sure you get them laughing and shoot lots of candids. Give her photos of her kids laughing and messing around together, so joyful that every time she looks at them she can't help but smile. That's what I would do. :)
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    PERFECT! That's exactly what I was looking for and couldn't come up with it on my own because I'm too close to the situation! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gif
    Blessings,
    Marjohn