Options

Outside of Boston

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
I will be going to the Boston area for work in mid-May. I'm going to be all the way out in the Westford-Chelmsford area for the most part. However, I'm getting into BOS around lunch on Sunday and would like to get some photography time in that day. I'd also like to stay outside of Boston for my photo ops and have looked into Lexington, Concord, Salem, and Gloucster. Clearly I can't hit all of that in an afternoon, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what the best towns for photography were outside of Boston proper and then where in those towns to find the shots.

Cheers,
Karl

Comments

• Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    I live in Chelmsford and grew up in Lowell. When I want to take pictures, I head back to Lowell. You can see most of them here: http://leefortier.smugmug.com/gallery/110814_RWDHs#491424717_o8PAz

There's a lot of history in Lowell. I also shoot in Concord (Old North Bridge NP, Great Meadows NWR, Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and Walden Pond).

There are a number of places to shoot in Westford and Chelmsford but Lowell has a lot more to shoot. Lowell is the site of the Industrial Revolution and still has a good number of Textile Mills and other historic buildings. It also has a great National Park that will bring you to everything you might ever want to see. And it's right next door to Chelmsford and Westford.

If I have a whole day to shoot, I'll head to Boston, Cape Ann, Marblehead, Gloucester and Rockport, all North of Boston. Southern Maine is only 1 1/2 to 2 hrs from here if you're looking to shoot Portland Head Light on Cape Elizabeth just outside of Portland. There are 3 more lights nearby and Nubble Light is in York, Maine (on the way home).

I'm sure you'll be able to keep yourself busy and go home with some nice images.

Enjoy the neighborhood.