Options

Question for Onethumb

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
Hi Don,
I was re-reading the docs again and I realized that theire is no way I can officially get the original URL in case originals are disabled, or the gallery is private or password-protected.
Of course I can try the "creative browsing" and such, but I really don't want to waste time experimenting (considering I'm pretty sure your engine would prevent that anyway).
I want to let the owner download his/her images back from SM..
Taking into account S*E is going to provide owner's password and all other pertinent credentials, how can I get to the original URL to download it? It may be in the private or pasword protected gallery, but S*E would be working on behalf of the owner.. I simply want to make the download of the owner's original images possible.. Baldy was tlaking abot "roach hotel".. I only want a legitimate checkout option..
Did I miss anything?
Thanks!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hi Don,
    I was re-reading the docs again and I realized that theire is no way I can officially get the original URL in case originals are disabled, or the gallery is private or password-protected.
    Of course I can try the "creative browsing" and such, but I really don't want to waste time experimenting (considering I'm pretty sure your engine would prevent that anyway).
    I want to let the owner download his/her images back from SM..
    Taking into account S*E is going to provide owner's password and all other pertinent credentials, how can I get to the original URL to download it? It may be in the private or pasword protected gallery, but S*E would be working on behalf of the owner.. I simply want to make the download of the owner's original images possible.. Baldy was tlaking abot "roach hotel".. I only want a legitimate checkout option..
    Did I miss anything?
    Thanks!
    Nik,

I thought that regardless of the public/private setting that the original url was always returned for the owner.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Returned -yes
    devbobo wrote:
    Nik,

I thought that regardless of the public/private setting that the original url was always returned for the owner.

Cheers,

David
    David, thank for pitching in!
    Here's the quote from the hlep:
    Additionally, obvious restrictions on Originals and Larges apply if so set by the owner. They will return as empty strings for those URLs if they're unavailable.
    Besides, I tried that many times mysef - if I have originals/large restricted, then even if *I*, the owner, request the url, I don't get it..
    I don't care about the URL structure - I can figure out -O syntax :D - but I need to get a legit access to *my* originals regardless of the "official" private/password limitations..
    Cheers!
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    David, thank for pitching in!
    Here's the quote from the hlep:
    Besides, I tried that many times mysef - if I have originals/large restricted, then even if *I*, the owner, request the url, I don't get it..
    I don't care about the URL structure - I can figure out -O syntax :D - but I need to get a legit access to *my* originals regardless of the "official" private/password limitations..
    Cheers!
    Hey Nik,

Since I don't have a Pro Account, I can't test that functionality bncry.gif

One word of caution with creating the -O url, from my experience, sometimes the original has a long random filename and not the -O syntax.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    I have noticed that I can't even download my own original files without first turning off the "protect" feature and the "no originals" feature. It would be great for the "owner" of the site to have full access regardless of what options were chosen. The administrator level password type thing if you know what I mean. If this was a smugmug feature then the add on software folks wouldn't have to worry with it.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    Exactly my point!
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I have noticed that I can't even download my own original files without first turning off the "protect" feature and the "no originals" feature. It would be great for the "owner" of the site to have full access regardless of what options were chosen. The administrator level password type thing if you know what I mean. If this was a smugmug feature then the add on software folks wouldn't have to worry with it.
    And with API in place SM doesn't even have to come out with a special password, since the API already provides the proper security at the login.

Anyway, the more of us pitch in here, the more chances that we can get Don's attention..

Guys, if you want to see download feature anytime soon - let's hear your voices! thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    And with API in place SM doesn't even have to come out with a special password, since the API already provides the proper security at the login.

Anyway, the more of us pitch in here, the more chances that we can get Don's attention..

Guys, if you want to see download feature anytime soon - let's hear your voices! thumb.gif
    Count me in!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Nik,

I had noticed that myself when I signed up with my account and thought it was kinda screwy that I couldn't get my files back without turning off protection and enabling originals (so I am still utalizing my own personal webpage for uploading and moving all of my photos from home to work and so forth). I would love to see that changed as well. I wasn't gonna say anything as I can get around it with my own personal ftp space even though that means uploading things twice. But I have to admit it would be nice to be able to get files back from smug in a much easier way online.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    I guess we'd have 2 w8..
    ..at least until SM fihishes to deal with Rafa's success:-)