Surprise

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited April 26, 2009 in Holy Macro
I don't shoot macro/close-up shots because I don't have a macro lens. All I have is the kit 18/55 5.6 (and the 55/200) that came with my Nikon D40. Today, though, I was sitting by a drainage ditch out in the woods waiting for a shot of a peacock and looked down and saw this Blue Dragonlet. Nothing to lose, so I put it on the "flower" setting and shot from about 3' away. Surprisingly, it came out pretty well in my opinion.

Yeah, there are peacocks and peahens in those woods. I don't know how they got there, but I've shot the male before. There's picture of him on my SmugMug page. The peabirds never came out, but I came away with something.

519396601_YEoHC-L.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Well you got a lovely dragonfly shot :)
    Brian V.
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Nice shot! Did you know the small black parts in the wings are counterweights ? Enables them for instance to hover..
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Great shot! I captured a mayfly that can be seen on my website... I love the "reflection" in the wings!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • MichaelBrownMichaelBrown Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Really love the overall difference in contrast between the dragonfly and that wonderful background.
    Composition, ..... excellent in my opinion.
    And, the way that you handled the depth is very nice!

Michael
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Really love the overall difference in contrast between the dragonfly and that wonderful background.
    Composition, ..... excellent in my opinion.
    And, the way that you handled the depth is very nice!

Michael

Thanks. That "lovely" background is scum on ditch water. Looks better when it's out of focus.

In the actual shot frame, the dragonet was vertical. I rotated the image before cropping.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/