People from a 3 hr day

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 6, 2005 in People
I was only off the PC for 3 hrs, had to do a baptism, that made me go to church, etc. These are some of the people I saw. And a bird.

First my, here is a photo, HAH! of my photo phobic Priest. I don't know about the color shift. I did not have the flash on, I thought RAW took care of white balance. I was going to have to do this in black and white, but got used to the psychedilic affect. would one of you correct my spelling please.

24094686-L.jpg

He is a Monsignor in the church, higher than a Priest. This is the church he grew up in. He has been pastor for a long time now, over 10 yrs.

24094699-M.jpg

The reason I got out for three hours. I was so not used to noise, what with birding and all, I jumped when the guy started playing the organ. Sounded terrible for awhile, too.

24094719-M.jpg

That is exactly the way Judy likes the photos, she is the education high up person. I don't know how she feels about screaming babies, but this is the distance, the place, they need to be looking at me and no one else can be in the photo, parents, child and siblings. Unless, there is an exception, like no other parent. That happened last week.
Best photo I have done last week, god parents were allowed as no "partner".

23793320-M.jpg

Last week's baby. I have not worked up this weeks.

23793336-S.jpg

This week's adorable child, a few more. I do like the children, well behaved, well dressed, .............
24094688-M.jpg

Do you like them dark? I haven't decided.......

24094714-S.jpg

The last person in my day was another adorable child.

24096750-M.jpg

So Maybury, don't you think? Opie?

Below is one of my favorite photographs. I took it for the Danger Challenge, but I am just not sure if it would work, so here it is. Also, it may be a bit dark, but I wanted to show the weather that came before the sky opened up.

24096741-L.jpg

I guess I will have to do something else with the wet bird. And baby osprey. Technically just did not work out with all the rain taking the punch out of the photo. But I am photographing them as they grow.

Hope we all have a good one, tomorrow. Or today, if it is day for you where you are, I really do hope for birds, and I certainly do not expect people.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Looks like you had fun shooting. I'm sure the parents will love the picts.

As for "RAW takes care of WB" -- RAW gives you the _ability_ to change the WB to anything you want in post processing. But you still have to change it.

Lotta CA (the purple fringing) in that photo. Still, a Monseignor sticking his tongue out at you sells the photo all by itself :)

Lee
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    Looks like you had fun shooting. I'm sure the parents will love the picts.

As for "RAW takes care of WB" -- RAW gives you the _ability_ to change the WB to anything you want in post processing. But you still have to change it.

Lotta CA (the purple fringing) in that photo. Still, a Monseignor sticking his tongue out at you sells the photo all by itself :)

Lee

I believe that's actually a purple light, and that the problem is that there are several color temps mixed in the one shot. Tough problem.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I believe that's actually a purple light, and that the problem is that there are several color temps mixed in the one shot. Tough problem.
    I believe you are correct David. I played around with it and it has the be one of the most mixed lighting pics I have seen. A nice b&w conversion is the answer I believe. Great shot Ginger.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    About the first one. I don't see a flash, so it has to be mixed light sources. Purple shadows means yellow light, right? I want to guess, for educational purposes...is there a very yellow or orange stained glass window up above, along with a skylight or tungsten light? I guess that would do it. Yes, tough problem because no single white balance setting can fix it. No matter which one you choose there will always be another strong light source temperature in the picture that looks wrong.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    About the only thing I do know for sure is that I did try to fix it on RAW. I do know it does not fix itself.

As for mixed light sources, probably. It was darker than usual inside, just a bit. The light "source", yes, would probably be mixed. Not from above, but from outside the two doors, with stained glass in them, so that is one source, outdoor and colors from the stained glass. The main source then would have been the indoor, regular light, above the area where the priest is standing.

So that would put indoor, outdoor, in one photo, then a bit of color from the stained glass. No wonder it is a problem.

I used to do this that and whatever. But I would have problems with color from the stained glass to the side shifting onto the "people", so I have my husband hold that one door open. I have not had that big of a problem with the 20D, even with the on camera flash, so I had forgotten about it. I just don't have my flash on much, do turn it on for the baptism shots. And I did turn it on for the little girl.

I usually get very blurred shots if the flash is not on, was lucky, and thanks to the "bursts", I got this not blurred, and that was a plus right there.

Thanks for clearing up about mixed light sources, interesting.

ginger
    edited June 6, 2005
    A WB question
    Looking at those, I do notice that the WB is different from the previous week to this week. I also know why that might be. Door open, vs door closed, etc.

Plus fast work ups from me. I used to be very painstaking on these, discovered that no one noticed or cared. It is the usual, "do I look good" with people, and the fact that there are other cameras as good as mine taking photos. In actuality, this is a favor to me, gives me a way to contribute to the church, gets a "deaf" person off their backs, and they hope I will be able to "turn this into a financially rewarding situation". HAH! I am the eternal cynic and also a realist.

Anyway, the question is: consistency. These all go on a board at the back of the church. Shudder, I e-mail them a small photo of low resolution, Judy prints it out on, worse shudder, regular printing paper. And they are on the board as a "get to know everone" thing. All together, on print (shudder) paper. They will not let me print them. Complicated reasoning that I understand, but I would rather print them.

So, back to consistency. Some of you do portraits and sports. You must have learned how to get consistent color even though subtle things "work" to change it.

How would I most easily get consistent color week to week, weather to weather?

Does anyone know who wants to share?

thanks, ginger
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Ginger, just one thing I noticed
    The sign in the background... that's a good idea to place the baptism with the name of the church, so I'd carefully watch where the sign is in your photo, so it doesn't get hidden -- assuming the sign is important?

Other than that, group shots are so difficult to get everyone looking good. I often take 3 or 4 and "switch heads" when I have to! :):

That one of "photo phobic Priest" is priceless! Did you show it to him????
    edited June 6, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    The sign in the background... that's a good idea to place the baptism with the name of the church, so I'd carefully watch where the sign is in your photo, so it doesn't get hidden -- assuming the sign is important?

Other than that, group shots are so difficult to get everyone looking good. I often take 3 or 4 and "switch heads" when I have to! :):

That one of "photo phobic Priest" is priceless! Did you show it to him????
    Thanks for the suggestion, Dee. I used to try to get the sign in. Now I just try to get the candle in if Father M is doing the baptism. He always lights it, before the photo, so I know he would like it. Also, I try not to let it grow out of a head.

I noticed that Sunday I did not even get the candle in. I position them, but things change.

Oh, no, I didn't show it to him. He really is tired after the masses on Sunday morning. I have decided that in some ways religion can become like a business, work, a profession. A calling can still take work. And he is very tired after the 11:30 AM mass, when the baptisms are done. I try to get in his way as little as possible and leave. I always try to get his photo, if he is there, I don't know what got into him. Smile. He is quite nice, but very busy. The high school and all the other stuff he is involved in.

I took the May Day photos and am ordering copies for the church this week, I am going to order a 5 X 7 of Father M, they are going to be sent straight to the church. I would assume someone will show him. That way he can look at it when he is not tired.

tired myself, thanks,
    ginger