Calling all concert shooters! (advice please)

Unbrok3nUnbrok3n Registered Users Posts: 444 Major grins
edited April 24, 2009 in People
I just started working for my friend's magazine doing photoshoots and concert shoots for bands. I am completely new to concerts and basically any kind of people photography in general.
I mainly used the sigma 30/1.4 (when I was in the pit) and my 105/2.5 (up in the balcony)
I have to say that I wasnt pleased with the results from my 30. Im not really sure what I was doing wrong, but a keeper shot(in focus, decently exposed) was about 2 out of 10...horrible I know.
Obviously the band members were moving all over the place and the lighting was insane...but still, I thought I would get better results than I did.
My settings were all over the place, but I found myself falling back to M mode with auto ISO, shooting 1.4-2.0 with the 30, and wide open with the 105, shutter speed around 100-200 depending.
In the shots where I shot in A, I used mostly matrix, because like always, I cant figure out spot metering.
Here is a few that I liked (untouched)
Im basically looking for any advice that anyone can give me to make me better.
Whether that be lens choice, settings, etc.
I found it was a lot easier to get focused shots with manual focus. Should this be the case? What should I do for AF? For metering?
I really appreciate any input from anybody at all.

519377772_CWatA-XL-1.jpg

519454232_8QTDC-XL-1.jpg

519377873_d67dB-XL-1.jpg

519377624_bARzF-XL-1.jpg

519377689_6jNih-XL-1.jpg
graphic designer/photographer

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    First of all, the shots look pretty good to me.

As for my approach, I would recommend shooting in M mode as the metering from the camera will be fooled in such lighting (especially matrix as it'll try to expose the black background gray and hence cause overexposure and long shutter speeds).

From various points you are shooting, if you use spot meter and meter off their face, that'll give you a general idea about the exposure settings. With spot lighting, there will be dark background for many of the shots. If the lights are constantly changing, then you can either shoot at one general setting or try to adjust for the rapid changing lights, which will be very very difficult.

If you shoot in RAW, then you will get a bit more room to adjust your exposure afterwards.

The shutter speeds of 1/100 to 1/200 seems about right to freeze action to me, so the shutter speeds sound ok. Depending on how close you are with the 30mm lens, aperture of 1.4 may be too shallow. As for the out of focus shots, try to figure out if the shutter speed is too slow (camera shake), if the blur is from the subject moving, or if the focus is off.

As for focusing, what is your approach? I'd recommend using the most sensitive AF point (usually the center) and then recomposing. You can use focus lock or a dedicated AF only button so that half pressing the shutter release button does not result in AF being reactivated.

If you have access to the venue before the show so that you can check out the lighting and the position of the performers, that'll give you some time to try various settings and get the bugs worked out before the event.

Event shooting in a dark stage is extremely difficult, so keep shooting and then reviewing your shots and settings. That way you get feedback on what went wrong and how you can fix it for next time.

I don't do a lot of concert/performance shooting except to help my buddy out.
    Take a look here.
    http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/574174_MSbML#195979286_Tx5wJ
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    I don't shoot concerts, but have done a few theatre/performance gigs which present similar problems. I think the shots you've posted are quite nice - some could (to my eye, only my opinion, ymmv etc) benefit from a bit more contrast as they seem to be suffering from a bit of flare (did you use a hood?), but that is, as I say, only my opionin, and I think they're good captures of the event.

Tee Why has given you some great suggestions. In particular, using the spot meter (if your camera has one) can REALLY improve matters - stage lighting is always very contrasty, and that way you can get the part of the shot you want exposed the way you want. I personally shoot in Av in these conditions - I'm just not fast enough w/manual settings, and Av lets me control the aperture which is so critical in these conditions.

Also, make sure you have some good noise reduction software to run in post - I really like the (free!) community edition of Noiseware - does a great job, and means I can shoot at higher ISO's with confidence because I know I can clean them up significantly in post.

HTH!